1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Laptop is frozen What's wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TwistedScarlett, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TwistedScarlett

TwistedScarlett Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP Laptop that is almost a year old, I've been using it alot recently and it's been working great! But For the past three days I've tried to start it up and the moment it gets to the welcome screen it stays there and doesn't move. I'm not sure if the screen is frozen because I can still move the mouse around or if it's moving very slowy. I shut it off twice manually ( You know not shutting down) could that be whats wrong with it, or is it a more serious issue?

2. Megabite

Megabite

See if you can get into Safemode

How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
    5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode..

3. mrss

mrss Guest

I also agree with the safe mode, but when you get there, you might first try the "Boot with last settings that worked " or similar wording.

Personally, I've never known what to do in safe mode other than a reboot. Most of the time, going into safe mode seemed to correct what was needed.

4. TwistedScarlett

TwistedScarlett Thread Starter

Thank you both but the problem still remains, IT says windows is setting up and it still refuses to take me to my desktop... I can't figure out why My desktop should still work right? It won't even play the start up tune? What should I do?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/733835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice