My laptop is ticking me off, please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stan_da_man

I have a Dell Latitude D400 running Windows XP Professional service pack 2. Recently, I reformatted my laptop due to some problems it was having. A while after that, I noticed that some sites would not load. I would not get an error message, such as "page not found". It would just keep loading, but the screen would stay blank. Only a few sites will actually load. Youtube, Surfthechannel, this forum, the homepage of another forum I'm on, wikipedia, photobucket. Searches on Google won't come up, yahoo doesn't come up, logging into photobucket won't send me to my photo albums. Facebook doesn't come up, nor does myspace. The actual forums, not the home page, won't come up. CtrlAltDel-Online won't come up. Various sites simply will not load. What's confusing me is that I never get an error message in Firefox, IE, or Opera(I downloaded Opera because I thought it had something to do with Firefox). I've scanned my computer with Kaspersky Lab multiple times, and I have removed everything that had come up on those scans. If I don't fix this, I won't be able to check my email on my laptop, do searches on google and yahoo(which I need to do for a mental health project. Researching theories proposed by Carl Jung, and explain wether or not they were accepted by the medical/scientific community).

valis

heyya stan, welcome to tsg....I also live in houston, so I know what you are talking about.

fyi, I edited the title of your post, please remember this is a family site. :)

did kaspersky find a lot with those scans?

thanks,

v

stan_da_man

Sorry about the title...*sheepish grin* Then again..my friend suggested the title...>_>

It found some trojans, 2 adwares. But I deleted them all.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I noticed a similar issue in your intro thread ;) and posted there.

As to this computer, if you reformatted, how in the heck are you getting infected so fast? :confused:

stan_da_man

I honestly do not know...I was able to fix the problem...but then it came back....and of course, I forgot what I did to fix it.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'm assuming that you are running a legal operating system, and once you get it installed, the first thing you are doing is installing an Anti Virus program? And THEN getting all Windows updates?

stan_da_man

I have Kaspersky Lab installed, but for some reason Windows Update is turned off. I'd go to the Security Center, but it says it can't turn on automatic updates, only the control panel can. I would go to the Automatic Updates tab, and set it to Automatic, click apply, then ok. But Windows Update is still turned off.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
When you reformat, you can go to windows update straight away via the start button, and get those installed first.

If reformatting again is an option, that would be the quickest and most efficinet solution.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yes, anti-virus first, then update the anti-virus, then get the Windows updates installed.

stan_da_man

When you reformat, you can go to windows update straight away via the start button, and get those installed first.

If reformatting again is an option, that would be the quickest and most efficinet solution.
When you say via the start button, you're talking about the control panel?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'm not on an XP computer right now, but, I recall it being at the top of the start menu, unless you removed it.

You can also get to it via start, programs, windows update.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
It couldn't hurt ;) You could also post a Hijack This log. See the instructions on how to do this in the very first thread in the malware removal forum. BUT, post the results back here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online