My laptop keeps powering off when I close the lid, please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

southpaw3

I'm completely lost here. I recently formatted my hard drive and now, whenever I close my laptop's lid, it powers off, even though I have it set to "Do Nothing" on the Power Options.

It never did this on my last format, and while I consider myself pretty advanced with computers, I can't figure it out. Nothing I do works.

(n)

Here's the specs:
HP Pavilion ze4900
Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed. Version 2002 SP2
Intel Celeron M
1.4 GHz
736 MB RAM

Thanks in advance.

Did you reinstall the mobo/chipset drivers? If not, you'll need to do that, other wise the chipset wont work correctly.

I HAVE to ask, you understand.....

Scorp.

It's probably a problem with your laptop's power supply management. Try checking the settings.
Steps:
1. Open Control Panel
2. Have control panel in the "classic view"
3. Click on the icon Power Options
4. Select the tab advanced

Under the tab advanced, there should be options to set how your laptop reacts to what you do with it. (Thus resolving your issue :))

southpaw3

As I said in my initial post, I already have my advanced Power Options set to "Do Nothing" when I close the lid, and yet it still powers off :(

Consider setting it to Standby and seeing if it's behavior changes or not.
Then if it does go into standby instead of off, then try reseting back to Nothing.
Does it have manufacturer based power management like some Dell's and Toshiba's.
Could that be kicking in, even though you're making changes in windows power management.
Also, is there a BIOS power management setting area you could check.

southpaw3

I tried it when set to go on Stand By... still powers off. Of course, HP's support was no help either :(

Where's the BIOS power management?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online