1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop keyboard has a mind of its own

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 2ndMOUSE, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2ndMOUSE

2ndMOUSE Banned Thread Starter

This only started happening yesterday. I'll be typing a sentence , and all of a sudden , the typing cursor will reappear halfway throigh the sentence i've just typed and start overwriting it. I did an AVG scan which found 60 tracking cookies , which i deleted , but the typing situation hasn't resolved itself. I thought i'd get a priest to exorcise it with holy water or get in touch with you guys. I have a feeling it may be connected to the firefox " aero fox " skin i installed yesterday or the coloured tabs addon as all the 60 tracking cookies came from mozilla. Please help. Thx in advance

2. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,go to device manager>keyboards and expand,select and right-click your keyboard then select uninstall,close all open windows,reboot your pc letting it reinstall automatically

3. 2ndMOUSE

thanks. In device manager , it mentions HID keyboard device and standard 101 / 102 key or microsoft natural PS/2 keyboard. Which do i uninstall ? or do i uninstall both ?

4. huggie54

huggie54

HID refers to a usb device,have you plugged a usb keyboard in,uninstall both mate.

5. 2ndMOUSE

ok. i uninstalled both , let it restart , but the problem is still there. I thought it may have been a problem with firefox addons , but i uninstalled those and there's no difference. Its driving me mad !! please help :confused:

6. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,try a system restore to a date where it was working correctly.go to start>accessories>system tools>system restore and select restore to an earlier time or date,select a date which is in a bolder print and restore, be patient it takes a while,g/luck Huggie54

7. raybro

raybro

This may or may not be what is happening to you, but I found when I use the laptop keyboard to type, an inadvertent touch with my thumb on the touch pad would do something similar to what you describe. I now use a USB keyboard for that very reason.

Raybro

8. 2ndMOUSE

Tried 2 different restore dates but it tells me after making me wait , that it CANNOT restore it to those dates.
    Its nothing to do woth accidental touches on the trackpad cos its nowhere near my fingers which are at 45 degree angles when i type.

Surely there is a solution to this that doesnt involve a 24lb sledgehammer ? why cant things just work !!

9. 2ndMOUSE

anyone ?? i still need a hand with this =(

10. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

try disabling the trackpad using the key on the laptop (normally just above the pad or a combination of the Fn+[other key])

11. huggie54

huggie54

hiya 2ndmouse,have you got the windows xp install disc

12. 2ndMOUSE

unfortunately not. The laptop was given to me , without the disc =(

13. huggie54

huggie54

has any friends got one you could use

14. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

why would you need to reinstall windows?

15. huggie54

huggie54

blakcshadow.who said anything about installing windows,jumping the gun are we not.what i was going to try was a windows repair thus a need for the install disc,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!