1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop monitor doesn't work anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bractar, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bractar

bractar Thread Starter

Hello,
    I just bought an external screen to plug on my laptop Inspiron 9400.
    This new screen works but the one included with my laptop doesn't work anymore. It is still possible to change the luminosity with Fn+top or fn+bottom but nothing display even during the boot. Fn+F8 (CRT/LCD) just stop and start the external screen. I can't boot or use the special Windows mode because I don't see any information on the laptop screen.
    Can you help me please?
    Thank you!

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

Can you get at least one of the screens to work at a time? If you can, then at worst the other screen is broken and at best you have to press Fn+F#. Just look at all of the pictures for all the F#'s on your keyboard and decide which one would be most likely to activate two screens. You could also right click on your desktop and go to Properties then Settings. Just try both of the options that I said, one of them is likely to be the answer.

3. bractar

bractar Thread Starter

I don't think it is broken. I just plugged a new screen...
    Do you know if a program permitting to reset the display exists?

4. tacoman359

tacoman359

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but have you tried using function and all the F's? I'm positive that it will work if the monitor is not broken, I've done it before.

5. bractar

bractar Thread Starter

Yesterday I bought a new lcd monitor. The image appeared on the new monitor. But the image disappeared from the laptop monitor. I don't know why I can't have the image on my laptop again. I always have it on my new monitor even if I declare the laptop screen as principal.

6. Majinalchemy

Majinalchemy

- Unplug the screen, cycle through the CRT/LCD button modes.

- Try pressing the button most laptops have that turns off the screen, (small button, usually above the keyboard somewhere,) It may also turn on the screen.

- This may sound stupid for a problem like this but, re-install windows if you must.

7. bractar

bractar Thread Starter

I was able to modify the brightness before but now the screen is just black...

If I want to reinstall windows, I have to be able to see the boot information but I don't see anything.

8. bractar

bractar Thread Starter

Hello again,
    I restarted and now I can change the brightness but the screen is still black.
    I restarded again by using the MediaDirect button and I've seen an image for about 3 seconds so my monitor isn't dead.
    It didn't change anything to my problem.
    Is there any option/program to reset this Dell monitor?
    Else, do you have any other idea to help me.
    Thanks

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you try tacoman359's suggestion in post #2 about right clicking on the desktop showing on the external display and selecting "Properties"? I am not familiar with Dell laptops and this is purely a guess, but it may be possible that the internal display was somehow disabled in the Display Properties settings.

10. bractar

bractar Thread Starter

Yes, I tryed all the buttons.
    Is the crt display can be like stuck? Is is a software possibility to reset it?

11. bractar

bractar Thread Starter

Now I just plugged the new monitor on the dvi port. But nothing new... I still have a black laptop monitor.

Any idea please, I need my laptop monday T_T

12. bractar

bractar Thread Starter

help help help T_T pleeeese

13. tacoman359

tacoman359

One of the wires may be loose. You can either check for yourself or take it to a repair shop, but checking for this or taking it to a repair shop should be a last resort.

14. bractar

bractar Thread Starter

how can I know that? which wire? do you know about how much it will cost?

15. tacoman359

tacoman359

Well, at my local computer repair shop, they charge $90 an hour, so probably about $200. As for taking a laptop apart, I've got no idea, I don't mess around with laptops they're too small and complicated.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/627719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice