1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop seems to be turning itself on

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by firestormer, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firestormer

firestormer Thread Starter

I turn my laptop off in the evening (Usualy to Hibernate). I get up in the morning and its off. I get home in the afternoon and its on. Now this has happened a lot. Its realy easy to tell when computers on or off as the TV tuner has a big bright blue light.

Now either i have a ghost or my laptop is turning itself on some time during the day.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Tap F2 after hitting power button to get into bios and under power management, be certain there is no setting enables for any "wakeup"...if there is disable it.

3. firestormer

OK back again. Its still doing it and these are the details. My computer resumes from Hibernate all by itself at 11 each morning. But not from shutdown. Try figure that out.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is either a BIOS setting or something like WOL (Wake On LAN) waking it up.

5. firestormer

Ive checked but the odd think is it only happens from hibernate and not a complete shutdown. But im pretty certain hibernate use zero power,

6. JohnWill

Actually, neither hibernate or power off truly uses zero power, since the power switch is a logic switch that turns the machine back on through motherboard logic. A timer on the machine could easily power it back up from either source.

7. firestormer

oh well i suppose have to keep looking for it then

8. JohnWill

I'd be looking in the BIOS, and also try unplugging from the network to see if the LAN is waking it up.

9. jdnyc

jdnyc

I had the same problem when I upgraded to Vista. Microsoft made "Sleep" the default resting option for Laptops in this Windows version. If you go into the Power settings in Control Panel and switch the settings from "Hibernate" to "Sleep" you won't experience this problem.

10. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Also, check to see if you have anything like a virus scan scheduled.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/571004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice