1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop turns off when it is in hibernate mode

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Darkoooo, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkoooo

Darkoooo Thread Starter

Hello :),

Normally i work during the day and when i finish, i just close the lid of the laptop and continue next day.

But recently even though i didnt shut off the computer, and just close the lid, it shuts itself like there is no more battery. All work is in recovery files because of the sudden shut off during the night. however the battery is still full in the morning.

Do you know what is it and how I can fix it?

thank you
    Darko

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Hibernate mode is a power off mode.
    Hibernate mode differs from Sleep mode. Sleep mode maintains some power going to the memory to maintain that memory. Hibernate mode saves the complete memory state out to hard drive and once it is all safely stored the power is shut off.

Because Sleep mode does require some power, the disadvantage of it is that if you are running on battery, you will at some time run down the battery and will lose all that you were maintaining in that memory (hope you saved any open files out to disk!).

Because Hibernate mode uses no power, once it has hibernated, there is no time limit. You can put that computer in the closet and pull it out months or years later, turn on the computer will resume right back to where it was prior to putting it into Hibernate.

Either Hibernate or Sleep mode will get your computer state back exactly like it was prior to entering that state.
    The only real downside of using Hibernate, over Sleep, is the few additional seconds needed to get into, or out of, Hibernate mode; over the time when using the Sleep mode.

Win7 and Vista, by default, use a modified Sleep mode called Hybrid Sleep. That is where the Sleep mode additionally also stores off the complete memory off to the hard drive (just like it would if you had selected Hibernate) just incase you do accidentally lose power while in Sleep mode. That might happen if you put your computer to Sleep "temporarily" while you go outside to do some chore, and somehow you were gone for the entire day - and your battery got depleted. With Hybrid Sleep you will still have your computer come back once power gets restored. Whew!

Assuming the Sleep power never got lost, using this Hybrid Sleep still will use the faster startup of the maintained memory to get your computer back up. It will only use the slower way of getting memory reloaded from the hard drive (that hibernate file) if it really has to.

So, just in case you still are wondering, your computer is supposed to power off in Hibernate mode. You don't have a problem.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

Oh, by the way, you can change which mode your computer will go into when you shut the lid. Search for the power options.

You can change the selections of going to Sleep, or Hibernate, or shutting down (which will log you off too) or even doing nothing when you shut the lid, or press the [Sleep] button (if you have one), or when you press the power button.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice