My laptop will only occasionally connect to WiFi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chelsvix

This is a really frustrating issue. I have a ThinkPad Edge running on some version of Linux (not too sure which). Someone please help me asap

I have a Thinkpad that cuts out occasionally.

To find out what version of Linux you are using try this command in a Terminal
Code:
lsb_release -a
Two commands that are handy, the first to tell you if you are blocked
Code:
sudo rfkill list
and the second stops any block
Code:
sudo rfkill unblock all
What program are you using to connect to the Internet?

First Name
Mike
I may be completely wrong here, but.....don't Thinkpads have a physical 'on/off' switch for the wifi?

(Not something I've ever had to deal with, myself - I've mainly used a succession of Dells for Linux, and Dell don't use this system - but I'm certain I've read this particular tidbit in more than one forum over the years.)

Mike. ;)

On my notebook back in 2007, I had this happen and even checking rfkill. Some cases you may need to change the options for the wifi module. I suggest posting lspci -k. Not all notebooks have a physical switch for the wifi to turn it on and off. The following is a good wiki on Linux wifi even though it's not for your distribution.
Code:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration
Please read through and investigate what the wiki saids before doing what the wiki saids. I have used Arch Linux wiki when I was using Gentoo.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online