1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop will only occasionally connect to WiFi

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by chelsvix, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chelsvix

chelsvix Thread Starter

This is a really frustrating issue. I have a ThinkPad Edge running on some version of Linux (not too sure which). Someone please help me asap

2. arochester

arochester

I have a Thinkpad that cuts out occasionally.

To find out what version of Linux you are using try this command in a Terminal
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    Two commands that are handy, the first to tell you if you are blocked
    Code:
    sudo rfkill list

and the second stops any block
    Code:
    sudo rfkill unblock all

What program are you using to connect to the Internet?

3. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    I may be completely wrong here, but.....don't Thinkpads have a physical 'on/off' switch for the wifi?

(Not something I've ever had to deal with, myself - I've mainly used a succession of Dells for Linux, and Dell don't use this system - but I'm certain I've read this particular tidbit in more than one forum over the years.)

Mike. ;)

4. tecknurd

tecknurd

On my notebook back in 2007, I had this happen and even checking rfkill. Some cases you may need to change the options for the wifi module. I suggest posting lspci -k. Not all notebooks have a physical switch for the wifi to turn it on and off. The following is a good wiki on Linux wifi even though it's not for your distribution.
    Code:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration

Please read through and investigate what the wiki saids before doing what the wiki saids. I have used Arch Linux wiki when I was using Gentoo.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!