1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop wont charge!!! =(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by browneyedlovexo, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. browneyedlovexo

browneyedlovexo Thread Starter

I have an HP dv5. i've had it for 2 yrs and its been wonderful. basically, ive been stupid and kept my laptop plugged in constantly except for the occasional trip somewhere.

about a month ago it wouldnt charge. the light next to where the ac adaptor plugs in always lit up before telling me the computer registered that it was being charged. now my laptops completely dead because the light next to the ac plug in wont light up. i dont know if the problem is internal or if i need a new battery or adapter.

i'd like to go the cheapest route possible because i'm a college girl and am pretty much broke. lol. im sure you all know what thats like.

HELP ME PLEASE!!! :eek:

beth

2. BenTechMac

BenTechMac

It could be the charger, replacements not that expensive (try to stay away from universal adapters, they are often really poor quality)

It could be the DC socket (the hole where you put the charger in) Does it wiggle around a lot when you put the charger in?
    has it still got the PIN inside that hole? Does it look damaged?

Also
    Try taking the battery out and plugging the charger in - see if that fixes it? It may be a faulty battery causing the issue.

Let me know. I will advise :)

3. browneyedlovexo

browneyedlovexo Thread Starter

first- i tried plugging the charger in w/o the battery in the computer to see if it would at least charge the laptop. nothing happened. the blue light didn't turn on to say it registered a power supply.

second- yes the dc port and still has the pin in it. it doesn't look damaged but it does however wiggle around a lot actually.

third- i'm in college so i have practically no money to spend but i need this fixed asap. i think i'm going to get a new ac adapter anyway cuz mine looks a little retarded. but how should i go about fixing the internal dc port??

thanks!!
    beth

4. BenTechMac

BenTechMac

It takes a lot of training and know-how to sort DC sockets out.. it should only be done by a reputable source.
    Did you buy extended warranty for the laptop? If not, you'd have to use google to find someone local..in the UK it can cost between £70 and £120 so whatever the equiv is wherever you are.

Sorry to break the news :(

If you are in college, perhaps you could approach the computer guys in there? They may be able to help, it would be cheaper that way as you can get the actual part for quite cheap.

It looks like this

The part is called a HP DV5 DC Socket

The laptop would have be dissembled first to see what parts of the DC socket is needed.. maybe just the block.. or perhaps the whole part like in the picture above.

Ben

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/934610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice