1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop won't connect to internet even though I have wifi

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Chood96, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chood96

Chood96 Thread Starter

My dell laptop won't connect to any site or app needing internet (internet explorer, netflix, the app store...) but I'm connected to wifi and the wifi works on all my other devices. Please help!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Chood96, and welcome to TSG. Can you please give us a few more details?

1) Was the laptop ever able to work over a WiFi connection?

2) Is the laptop having problems only connecting to WiFi at one location or at any WiFi location or hotspot?

3) Does the laptop have a WiFi switch and/or status indicator light? If so, are they showing that WiFi is turned on?

4) What does MS-Windows show as the status of the WiFi adapter? No Connection? Connected, but with limited service? Connected?

5) If you are having a problems connecting at only one location, do you know if the WiFi access point is using any kind of encryption or MAC filtering to limit access?

More questions may follow, based on your answers to these five topics.

3. Hamphoeby

Hamphoeby

go to Network and Sharing Center, change adapter settings(in the left side), with right click disable and then enable your i guess network or something like that.

4. Chood96

Chood96 Thread Starter

1) yes it has worked ever since I got it last year

2) the wifi is connected and strong it just won't let me access internet or anything needing internet

3) the wifi symbol is on

4) connected

5) im not sure

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Open up a Command/DOS box and enter the following commands, one at a time:

TRACERT techguy.org

TRACERT 8.8.8.8

If you get any kind of a failure messages, copy and paste the original command and the full results in a reply post here.

Also enter the following command and copy and paste the full results into a reply post here:

IPCONFIG /ALL

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice