1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop won't display on acer monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Azteca, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Azteca

Azteca Thread Starter

I have an Elitebook 6930p with a broken screen and in order to use it I need to plug it into an external monitor, the problem is now it won't display on the monitor at all.

It's not the VGA cable OR the monitor that's the problem because I tried hooking both up to a friend's laptop and it displayed just fine so it has to be the laptop. Idk what the issue is, sometimes it will work for a split second if I move the pc around and then cut to black again, but most of the time it doesn't work AT ALL. This is really frustrating because I can't see the screen so I can't mess with any configurations but I assume that's useless anyway since it's more than likely a hardware problem. I've also noticed that if I press the VGA cable into the back of the laptop really hard that I'll get a response, but not the response I'm looking for as it'll just say "signal not found" before cutting to black again. So is there any way I can fix this without going to a repair store? I don't have the money right now and I have really important information on that laptop. Even if it's possible to somehow get the data from that laptop into another one or a portable hard rive that'll be fine too, I just need help figuring something out.

TL;DR: Laptop screen is broken and it won't display on another monitor I'm using, problem is neither the cable or the monitor and I need help figuring out how to either get it woking again or how to get the data out of the laptop.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Could be a bad connection somewhere, hard to troubleshoot without any display.

You can take the hard drive out and put it into a Usb caddy (or use an adapter cable) and connect it to another computer to get the data you want off it.

3. Azteca

Azteca Thread Starter

Thanks, now the only thing I need to know is where the hardrive on an elitebook 6930p is located and how to pry that SOB out of it.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Here you go, the drive is in a metal caddy. You might be able to fit a Usb adapter cable while it's still in the caddy but you will have to take the drive out of that caddy to put it into a Usb one, should be just 4 screws to remove.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice