My laptop won't recognize its battery and I don't know why.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kortnie

A few months ago my laptop started showing a window that said my battery wasn't recognized. After this if my laptop wasn't plugged in it would shut off in about 20 minutes. Over time it would shut off right after this window popped up no matter how much charge was in the battery. Eventually my battery just stopped charging and I can only use my laptop when its plugged into an outlet.

Can someone let me know if this can be fixed by just getting a new battery or if its a different kind of issue?

Also my laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 15 and I have Windows.

Gr3iz

Mark
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Most laptop batteries only last 2-3 years, at best. As they decline, they hold less of a charge. Is this the original battery?

Kortnie

Yes and the issue started happening around a 1.5 years after I got my laptop. If it just stopped charging I would be certain it was a bad battery but I'm more confused on why my computer didn't recognize it before it stopped charging. I tried unplugging and re-plugging the battery but this didn't resolve anything.

I just want to make sure the issue is the battery before I go buy a new one.

Gr3iz

Mark
These people were not talking about exactly the same issue, but this seemed to be a recurring theme in the thread I found:
I had the same problem after changing the settings in Lenovo Energy Management - not Windows Power Options. Changed back to Maximum Battery Life and fixed the problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online