1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop won't start or show anything when installing XP...I really need some help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TripleH2k3, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TripleH2k3

TripleH2k3 Thread Starter

A few days ago I did something to the registry that resulted in my laptop not being able to stay on for more than a few minutes at a time.......I did manage to get it to stay on long enough to start a install of Windows XP PRO but it kept stopping with 9 or 7 minutes remaining (it totally froze so I had to manually power it down).....and now if it gets past the black Win XP loading screen then it goes to a blank blue screen and won't let me do anything. I think I made another mistake when trying to reinstall....I selected upgrade when I probably should have selected new install.

I can enter safe mode but it says that Windows XP can not install in safe mode and has to restart........then goes back to the same old problem. I have it setup so that my cd-rom boots first but it doesn't load anything now.

I asked about this registry problem before but no one would help me either on here or on the phone and I have NO idea what to do.

Is there any possible way of deleting the partition and installing windows with all of the problems I mentioned above. I have no money right now so I can't take it in to get it fixed so right now I am without a computer and I'm forced to talk through my uncles pc. Someone Please help me.

2. Pausebreak

Pausebreak

It sounds like you cannot get into Windows at all. If you can get into Windows (even in Safe mode), the first thing you should try is a System Restore and roll back to a date when the computer worked.

There is a way from the command line to restore a backup of the registry, but you need to know what the backup is named and that it is good. I don't really know how to do that, so hopefully someone else will post that info.

Otherwise, I'd double-check that the boot order is correct. I've made BIOS changes and forgot to F10 to save and would have sworn I did.

If you can get it to boot from the Windows CD, you might be able to recover using the recovery console. Instructions on how to access and use it are at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

If you installed the recovery console prior to this problem, the article has instructions on loading the console.

Hope this helps.

3. TripleH2k3

TripleH2k3 Thread Starter

Pausebreak..........thank you for your reply. I couldn't log in to windows at all.......safe mode or normal and since my registry was messed up it kept freezing and shutting me down........I was finally able to load a cd and it took several times to power the pc back on to continue the installation........I messed that up so I redid it and deleted the partition after that I was able to reinstall and everything works fine.

Thanks again for the post.....I asked about this before but no one posted a reply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!