1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop wont work properly. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Delost, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Delost

Delost Thread Starter

Hey guys, so I will try my best to give you all the details so you can help me because I am about to give up on this...

So I wanted a laptop really badly and bought it from a guy for about 60-70$. The laptop is MSI cr630. He told me that he have reinstalled the windows 10 and cleared all the dust inside the laptop so it's like a brand new and works like a charm.

Unfortunatelly the "brand new" laptop stopped working the first day I got it. At first it seemed to work pretty well, but suddenly the display sometimes started to get black for 0.5 seconds or so. Later that day I wanted to install all the updates it needed, so I started to install sound drivers and so on, I didnt finish doing what I started when the computer went black... I started figuring out what the hell could it be, I removed the battery, switched rams, read the whole damn internet. I could see a very dim screen so I thought it was backlight or an inverter but then I learnt that my laptop does not have an inverter so I thought maybe there was a bad connection somewhere or something, I took it apart, reconnected some of the things but everything was the same. I tried connecting the display to my pc's screen through VGA but it didn't work then I tried to connect the laptop to my TV through HDMI and that one worked! Wanted to check out what BIOS version is mine and if it needs and update, but I didn't had much time because after like 40 seconds I got a windows error saying:
    ",Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart we are just collecting some error info" or something like that and the it started to load up percents 15%, 30%... And it went black. I tried to load up the pc several more times and the same thing happened, later windows asked me if I wanted to reset the whole windows by clearing all the data, I chose yes, but when it was at 3% the pc turned off. I think after that the display does not show anything at all, im not sure. Also the HDD blinking light only works the second I press the turn on button and the nothing, I can only see the sleep mode led (moon shape), I can hear the fan spinning, sometimes it goes faster, sometimes slower. I tried reconnecting HDD but that didnt help too. Can anyone please help me?? I really want to make it run, but im afraid it will leave my wallet empty. Any suggestions are highly appreciated. I hope I explained everything detailed. Thanks.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Download MS Media Creation Tool and generate a DVD or USB stick. Boot with it and do a custom install. Then go download the graphics driver and bios update if there is any.

Delost likes this.
  3. Delost

Delost Thread Starter

Can I do this without seeing the any display? Because the display isnt working.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

I thought the TV was working.

5. Delost

Delost Thread Starter

Not anymore, i said all of that.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Don't waste any more money on the MSI cr630. You bought an 8 year old used laptop.
    https://www.techradar.com/reviews/p.../laptops-and-netbooks/msi-cr630-902805/review

I'd advise anyone to save up and buy a laptop new. Why? You have no idea how hard a used laptop was used. The battery might be unable to hold a charge. You eithe have to keep it plugged in all the time which defeats the laptop's portability or hope you can find a replacement battery guaranteed to work with the exact model you own. (The older the laptop, the harder it is to find new batteries.)

If the laptop was overheating by not cleaning it out or used on soft surfaces where lint could get in, the thing is overheating and the video chip might go.
    As you discovered, with no video, a laptop is useless.

Parts in a laptop are not easily replaced. If the video goes, you either have to replace the motherboard or get someone to desolder the video chip and solder a new one on; provided you can find one for an 8 year old laptop.
    If the audio goes, you either do without audio or buy a USB external sound card.

Delost likes this.
  7. Delost

Delost Thread Starter

I can get a used motherboard for 7$ from a friend that definetaly works, I dont have much money for a new computer, id like to fix this one. Do you think its in the motherboard or somewhere else? What should I do? thanks for the reply

8. Delost

Delost Thread Starter

Help?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice