1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Linux Installation Log

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by spirittoo, Feb 8, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Wellsir ... I figure I better keep a record of what I am going to do so I know what I did right or wrong during this installation.

I have a 32G flash drive and I have downloaded Linux Mint 19 64bit cinnamon ISO image. I read and saw videos that say I will need a program like rufus to create a bootable flash drive. I also read that I have to format the drive in FAT32 before I can make the bootable drive. So my next step will be to format the drive and download Rufus, and figure out how to use it.

I will be installing Linux on my Intel rig first. I only have four sata ports so I have to lose one of the DVD burners. I have two burners and two hard drives hooked up now. If I am headed in the wrong direction with these steps please post. Thank you for reading my post.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2020
  2. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

I was checking out this video ...

and it gave me this link for software to create a bootable flash drive
    Universal USB Installer: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...
    It was pretty easy to use, so now I have my bootable flash drive and I am ready to install Linux on a new WD 500Gb SSD on my Intel rig.

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Wellsir ... I got linux installed on my intel rig. No problems with the install I am running linux as I type this. I used the video to do the updating and what not. Now I have to figure out how I can transfer my bookmarks to firefox. How to create the dual boot ... I know I need software, but can't recall the name right now. I have multiple screens (3) and I have to figure out how to get them going in linux. I have the drives for windows disconnected. So far it isn't that difficult to work with. Pretty user friendly. I'm stopping here and going to install it on the AMD rig. It crashes a lot because of the processor I have and window 7 drivers not getting along from time to time ... hopefully it will not crash anymore while in linux.

4. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Wellsir ... I can't get anything out of the AMD rig. I installed the M.2 SSD and when I try to boot up I get nothing but error beeps. One long ...two short. Maybe I didn't put the drive in right? It does move a bit, but the screw is tight.

5. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Okay went to youtube on the intel linux and there was no sound. I found this video ...

It showed me how to get sound. Now I have to find out what is happening with the AMD rig. Also I want to find out how to partition the drive so I have the OS on one and my important files on the other.

6. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Silly little me. The one long and two short beep codes were for the video card. I forgot to plug in the power to it.:cautious: Linux is now loading on the AMD machine.:)

7. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Okay first problem is with the AMD rig. No wifi or ethernet connection. I hooked up with an ethernet wire, and it keeps telling me "activation of network connection failed" for ethernet connection. Anyone have any idea why? I am searching for an answer, but so far no luck.:unsure:

8. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Still no go on internet. I getting this 802.1x authentication box ... I put in my for the OS and after a few seconds the authentication box comes back.:mad: I've checked out a couple of youtube videos on the subject, but they didn't work.:cautious: I can't get the update or drivers without internet connection or is there another way to get it?o_O

9. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Wellsir ... I found the problem with the wifi. It was my adapter card that when out on me. I booted back into windows and found I had no connection, so I got one of my usb adapter and got connected again. When back to linux using the adapter and got connected. I can't believe that card when out on me like that:mad:. Okay now on to the next steps ... figuring out how to partition the drive ... and how to do a dual boot, because I have to remove the video card in order to remove or install the M.2 ssd which is a pain.:eek:

10. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Okay I been checking out easy bcd and from what I gather I have to install it in windows. Didn't see anything about installing it in linux, only once installed on windows I would be able to do a dual boot with linux. I'm thinking I may not have to remove the M.2 drive because I have to tell the bios which drive to boot from on the AMD rig ... the intel rig I will disconnect the drive for linux so I can install easy bcd. Whole lot easier on that machine. I guess after I get the dual boot part done, I'll work on figuring out how to partition the drives.

11. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Well I found that I don't have to remove the M.2 drive with the AMD machine. All I have to do is go into the bios and change the boot order. Seem just as easy to do that rather than install easy bcd.

12. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

I'm having a problem doing a dual boot for the AMD machine ... it may have something to do with the windows hhd being UEFI. The drive for win7 isn't showing up in linux and the linux drive isn't show up in easy bcd in win7. I may only be able to switch the drives using the bios.o_O:cautious:

13. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Okay I'm confused here. I went into disks on linux to see about creating a partition and I am seeing the drive for windows listed ... why isn't it showing up in the terminal when I'm trying to create a dual boot?:censored:

14. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Wellsir ... I'm still trying to figure out how to do a dual boot with the AMD computer ... I believe it is because I had to format the drive making it a UEFI so windows could see the whole 4TB. I did the sudo os-probe command in the terminal and it didn't work. It did not see the windows drive. I then tried the sudo update-grub command and got some thing from that. Then I did some other commands to check the system ... after that I saw a "new volume" file on the desktop. It showed all the files in windows 7 but I don't know what that means as far as doing a dual boot.
    However I was able to get the Intel rig to do a dual boot no problem because the hard drive didn't have to be formatted a certain way.
    I also installed some neat software Linux had to offer.
    So if anyone knows how I can get the amd rig to do a dual boot, please post.o_O

15. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

I pretty much have the intel rig up and running with linux no problems. I had to use my usb flash drive with Mint on it to go into gparted to partition the drive. I could not partition it while in linux or course. Once I resized it, I had to create a new partition.

All I have to do now is figure out how to do the same on the amd rig ... then I will be able to say installing on both rigs done. ;):barefoot:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice