1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My log-in at TechGuy doesn't last even one minute

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Alex Ethridge, Jul 24, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have been experiencing this problem for about a week now. I log in at TechGuy, which I have never had to do at all before, and one minute later or less, I have to log in again. Yesterday, I logged in and typed a response to a thread and when I attempted to post it, I got a message I had attempted to access an invalid thread.

I should not be seeing advertisements. I log in and the advertisements go away. A minute or two later, the advertisements are back and all I'm doing is browsing from thread to thread. When The advertisements come back, I know my log-in has been lost again.

I have six machines here, four with Windows 2000 and one with XP, and all are behaving the same way.

Today, I logged in using a different browser (IE6) from a different location 30 miles from here. They even use a different internet service provider there and the rersult was the same--I was logged off in about a minute or so.

Windows XP and Windows 2000
    Internet Explorer 6 and Netscape 7
    With and without other programs running

The way I managed this post was to type it into a word processor and copy-n-paste into the TechGuy forum. I can't be sure I could stay logged in long enough to type this.

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like you've got some kind of security program that's blocking the cookie that keeps you logged in -- very strange it's happening on all of the computers, maybe they all have the same program installed?

3. hewee

hewee

Remember there are forums.techguy.org and techguy.org cookies Alex.

4. Alex Ethridge

I will admit that all six machines here are set up pretty much the same way as I am the one who set them up; but, the one at the location about 30 miles from here that is using a different ISP is set up quite differently. They are also using ZoneAlarm Pro for firewall and antivirus. They have a Netgear router.

I'm using Norton Antivirus 2003, a version that pretty much precedes the voodoo that seems to have infected more recent versions. Also, the only firewall I have is the one built into my Linksys routers.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You may want to do a quick test, by registering with a new id and then logging in.

If that account has similar issues, then it would "appear" to be the PC configs. If that account works, then it would "appear" that your current account is corrupted somehow?

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

My money says its Zonealarm's fault...you might try disabling that and see if it works.

7. Alex Ethridge

I stated in my posts that ZoneAlarm is not used here.

8. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Ok, I think I understand how its set up now.
    Have you tried disconnecting one of the computers from the network and plugging it directly into the modem? That will tell you if the problem is with the computer or the router.

9. Alex Ethridge

Charter was here today to work on the loss of internet connectivity and I have seen no problem since then. As a matter of fact, I was able to return to TechGuy and post this reply without having to log in, which is the way it has worked for years.

A problem with the Charter service could explain a problem here; but, it doesn't explain the problem that occurred 30 miles away on another computer.

I guess I'll just see what happens from here on and hope it has fixed itself.

10. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Keep us updated. :)

11. Alex Ethridge

The previous two posts and this one were all made without having to log in again. So far, it seems to have fixed itself.

Sure wish I knew what caused this in the first place.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice