1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My logitech cordless mouse won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Webman, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Webman

Webman Thread Starter

hey, I have a sony vaio laptop, and I have been trying to get my logitech cordless optical mouse to work, but I can't seem to find any solution so far. I plugged the mouse in, and I was able to install it successfully, but it won't respond. I checked my mouse batteries and they were good, I am not sure what else to do...Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

USB or PS2 connection?

If USB do any USB devices work?

What operating system?

3. Webman

Webman Thread Starter

yes it is a usb, other usb works, it is windows xp home

4. moebius

moebius

goto your BIOS and look for an option like: trackpoint auto-disable, or trackpad auto-disable, or trackpoint/pad or something close. it should either be set to AUTO or DISABLED.

5. Webman

Webman Thread Starter

where do I find BIOS?

6. moebius

moebius

when the computer starts it probably says something like "Press f2 to enter BIOS"

7. Webman

Webman Thread Starter

when I started up my computer I didn't see anything like that...you're going to have to be more specific.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Entering the BIOS requires a certain keystroke at the time the computer boots up.

It is different for each make and model, with F2, DEL, F1, F10 all being popular.

There is only a small window of opportunity to enter the keystroke, just a few seconds in the boot process. Therefore tapping the appropriate key once per second from power up is sometimes more effective.

Usually (but not always) this keystroke is displayed on the boot-up screen.

As each make and model of PC can be different and nobody has any clue what type of Sony Vaio you have (they make many models) there is no way anyone can be any more specific.

As your computer boots is there no on-screen indication of "press F2 to enter setup" or similar message? That "setup" is the BIOS.

9. Webman

Webman Thread Starter

I was able to get into BIOS, but I searched through everything and didn't find a trackpad or trackpoint, or anything like it.

I should also mention that I was able to use cord mouse in the same usb connection.

10. moebius

moebius

you should have mentioned that earlier. does the cordless mouse require drivers?

11. moebius

moebius

on the other hand, does windows even detect it? because if its detected by windows, you might have a channel configuration problem.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Did you press the Connect Buttons on both devices?

13. Webman

Webman Thread Starter

yes windows is able to detect it...I think it requires a driver, and I set it up ok...there is only 1 connect button, and that is on the thingy (not sure what it's called) attatched to the usb cord

14. moebius

moebius

if windows detects it, then your problem is with the connection between the transceiver and the mouse. id read the manual very very carefully if i were you!

15. Webman

Webman Thread Starter

I did read it carefully, followed it step for step...that's why I came here..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/290629