My mac is slow and i've tried a few things

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tarynclogherty

So, i only got my imac a couple years ago and atm it just runs really slow. i know macs aren't really for gaming and that, but the games used to run perfectly but now they just don't :/. its only really recently it's done this. it gets really laggy to the point where they're unplayable and load times are really long. even loading up applications (just like settings or safari etc, built in apps) sometimes takes ages and i get the spinning wheel of death. i do have a bootcamp windows partition on my mac and it runs slow too so i believe its a hardware issue? i wouldn't know lol. i've reset to factory a few times and done a thing that resets the PRAM (i think thats what it's called). i've also made sure i have plenty of memory which i have TONS so i really don't know. i did leave it sitting awhile about a few months because i've been busy with school if that has any effect. any help you can give is SO much appreciated <3.

Have you checked your iMac running processes by pressing the CMD + ALT + ESC key, if I remember correctly. See if there's anything that's hogging your resources. How old is your iMac? Sounds like it could also be an SSD/ HDD issue.

You could try DiskUtility and using the S.M.A.R.T function to the check the health of your storage systems.

tarynclogherty

Have you checked your iMac running processes by pressing the CMD + ALT + ESC key, if I remember correctly. See if there's anything that's hogging your resources. How old is your iMac? Sounds like it could also be an SSD/ HDD issue.

You could try DiskUtility and using the S.M.A.R.T function to the check the health of your storage systems.
okay, it didn't really do much. it said it could take hours but it took only about a minute (fastest anything has taken really) so im not sure if it did anything. i have two Macintosh HD - Data volumes which i thought was weird. i have 8gb of ram and activity monitor says my memory usage is green when im in any of the games i want to play. i have a hdd card i found out. idk im just saying everything i know that could possibly help me get this sorted.

tarynclogherty

my imac is not even 2 years old yet btw. i've been doing some other research and i might need a better graphics card. i only have 2gb of vram and i think 4gb from what ive been reading should help out. if u need any other info on anything that u think could help me figure this out ill be happy to find out for you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online