1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my Mac suddenly will allow only one open app to show on screen

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by jbm4, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbm4

jbm4 Thread Starter

My Mac will allow only one open app to display on screen:

...First, the boring details:
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.30f1
    Model: Hitachi HDS721075KLA360
    OSX ver 10.6.8

I don't use "Spaces" on my iMac, the concept is cumbersome to me. Suddenly something sort of like Spaces is happening on my desktop without my knowingly causing it. Say I have several apps open - Safari, Speed Download and Mail - only one app will stay visible on my screen - the others shrink to the taskbar ( or somewhere! not sure where they're going). To use one of the "hidden" apps I have to use keyboard shortcut Tab-Command to bring it forward. Then that ONE app opens up, and disappears the first one! And on and on!

Any ideas what could be causing this? It's very annoying because it wastes time.

2. Headrush

Headrush

Open System preferences -> Accounts or System preferences -> Users & Groups depending on what OS X version you have, create a new user account. (just temporary)

If not we know its likely just a settings or preferences specific to your user account.

3. jbm4

jbm4 Thread Starter

Hi Headrush:

Thanks for your reply. The "Test" account trick is one I've been wise to for some time, so I already knew the issue was confined to my user, and not my OS or hardware.

I managed to figure this one out myself, and it was SO simple, it was stupid!

All I had to do was run an app, say, Safari, and go "Safari/Show All", and from that point on, I have been back to where I want to be, showing multiple apps open on my desktop.

I have no idea how/when I set an open app to "Hide Others," but I must have done that sometime. Go figure!

4. Headrush

Headrush

OMG, how embarrassing, I can't believe I forgot about that. :eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice