1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Me is a Mess!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bonduout, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bonduout

bonduout Thread Starter

Hello! First of all...I want you all to know that this website is one of my favorites! I have been a member for a while, and this is my first post. I can always find the help I need to figure out my "little computer messes" here! I have a Dell Latitude cpi D300XT laptop with Windows Me. I set up my wireless network about a year ago (thanks again to this websites help)! I was accessing the internet with my Linksys WPC54G ver. 3 notebook adapter. It was working fine until I started messing around with the ip address, switching it from ad-hoc to infrastructure...mainly because I wanted to see what was faster, better etc.. Then it said that the adapter was inactive. I uninstalled it, and tried to re-install it, but since I don't have a cd-rom drive ( I only have a floppy drive) I couldn't use the install cd. So I thought I would hook it up to my Qwest Actiontec DSL modem, and just download the driver from the internet. I am connected through USB, not ethernet on my pc which is a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP. The laptop would not recognize the modem, so I couldn't access the internet. I then tried to go into command prompt and I couldn't get that to come up for me to to an ipconfig. I borrowed a zip drive to download the driver for the wireless adapter (the file won't fit on a regular floppy disc), :) in hopes that I could access the internet.. maybe get some updates or something like that to fix the issues with the laptop. I got the driver, but my laptop wouldn't recognize the zip drive, because it is USB!!! I'm totally stuptified on this one! Well, I think that says it, I hope that it makes sense! Thanks for your help!:)

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    If you recently did this, then maybe you could do a system restore back to when it worked. And, then, you can work out the kinks from there. Otherwise, make sure everything is working in the device manager...

3. bonduout

bonduout Thread Starter

Thank you for the response...I did go into system restore and there were no restore points. Could there be a problem with the partitions?

4. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

It's possible the adapter simply failed and needs replacement.

But you can try this:

At startup tap F8 or press CTRL and keep it pressed until the Start menu appears.

Select Safe Mode and proceed.

Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and delete ALL entries related to the adapter and communication devices.

DO NOT touch System Devices.

Restart in Normal Mode and see if you manage reinstalling the adapter, or if Windows reinstalled the correct drivers.

Good luck,

Zee

P.S.:
    Many people turn off System Restore and only notice how important it is when faced with these or similar situations.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice