1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My mobo, and the processor. a story by moi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tact, Oct 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

:p heheh. funny topic title.

anyway um. i have an emachines. that me baught in 1999. i went to the emachines website to figure out which one i have in hopes of figuring out waht motherboard i have in hopes of figuring out if i can make a processor upgrade or not.

these are the specs of my computer when i first baught it.

in my sig. are the specs of my computer as of now, AFTER a couple of upgrades i did to it.

here is before.

Specifications of eTower® 400i

Intel® Celeron™ 400MHz (w/128KB L2 Cache) PPGA CPU
    32MB SyncDRAM (up to 256 MB)
    2 USB Ports (1 is on Front)
    1 Serial / 1 Parallel / 3 Expansion Slot
    Audio In & Out / Game Port on Front
    Internet Ready
    Microsoft® Windows® 98
    Microsoft Works
    ATI Rage IIc 3D AGP with 4MB SDRAM
    Crystal CS4280 3D PCI Audio
    32x Max. CD-ROM Drive
    4.3GB HDD (Ultra DMA EIDE)
    3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    56K* ITU V.90 PCI Fax/Modem
    PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse
    Stereo Speakers

and after is in my sig.

anyway. i still dont know what motherboard i have. i asked some friends of mine if they new how much more can i upgrade my comp processor wise because i know not all upgrades will work especially with old computers ya know. i can't just buy a brand new pentium 4 and expect it to work.

and a friend of mine says that even if i do upgrade my chip, the most i can upgrade is up to 450mghz. which i think sucks. only by 50. another friand says the most is 500mghz. which isnt that bad. if i can increase it by 100, i might buy it.

however i'm wondering what is it that keeps me from getting a pentium II 1ghz processor? i know its the mobo. but what ABOUT the mobo? so what i'm trying to figure out is, what is the MOST my mobo can take? but to find that out, i need to know what mobo i have. lol and i dont know.

i went to belarc.com and found this out though. perhaps this will help.

BIOS: American Megatrends 063100 07/15/95

is that the mobo? or..something. bios. i dont know what that is..something or other. >.<

anyway. i was hoping if you guys knew of a way i can figure all this out, or if its not too much, if you can tell for yourself. the more opinions the better. so far i have 2 which were from my friends. i'd very much appreciate more.

oh and i'd also really appreciate it if you can also tell what the maximum is for a new video card. aka 3d/gfx card. i have a cheap 4mb. and i also know i can't just buy the best of the best for that either. 3d card and processor are the last two things i would like/need to upgrade my computer with, but they are complicated because of my lack of knowledge so i'd really appreciate any help/input/info you have. thank you very much.

edit: in summary incase this is all jumbled up for some people ( i just reread my topic and even confuzzled myself :p)

how can i find out the make/model of my mobo. (the name, or whatever it is i can refer it as)

and what is the MOST of the MOST it can take when it comes to processor, and video card.

that's pretty much it. thanks again.

2. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

cool. i was surfing online to see if there are ways i can figure out what my mobo is and stuff and i found a program called ctbios.

i tried it and took a screenshot of the results. perhaps they will help you help me figure this out. :p

check attachement.

however this program is like in german though. phooey. i hope it doesnt confuzzle you. :D

Attached Files:

• bios.jpg
      bios.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Rockn

Rockn

Go to www.motherboards.org and get the engrish version of CTbios. They also have guides to help you identify your motherboard with the ID string etc.

4. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

i went to the site and its still in some other language when i d/led it and it was even an older verison i think. 1.3. i used 1.5 before that

however i found these other neat programs. one called bioswizard and the other called bios agent. really really neat. and ithink they have the info i need.

since i dont know what to make of it, and the only thing i can do with it is get some upgrade, i would still need someone to tell me if they know enough about my mobo to tell what is the maximum amount of processor and video card upgrade i can make. is it 450, 500, 600?

can i upgrade to 32 mb vid card? 64? 128?

theres a limit. i know. but i want to know what the limit is.

anyway. heres another screenshot of what i got from the bios agent.

if you want, i'll get one of what the bioswizard got. maybe they are kinda the same but kinda diffrnet. here it is.

Attached Files:

5. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi Tact,

Here is your mobo:

Florida-TG/TGA Micro ATX (ATX V1.2 form factor) motherboard

You can add a Celeron 533mhz CPU. Not the 533a or higher. You can then install and enable SoftFSB and from the chipset, over-clock your computer to run at a cool and steady 618mhz. How do I know?? I've done it!! Two years ago and the machine is still my favorite.

No need to change the BIOS or the CPU fan. This will also make a good difference in your video. No need to change since it is integrated anyway. And, you already have the max SRAM.

regards.

Spaceman

6. rugrat

rugrat

Tact, I believe your board is a TriGem based on the following info from EMachines website.

eTower 366i, 400i
    Florida-C Micro ATX (ATX V1.2 form factor) motherboard, TriGem Korea Intel Socket-370 (370pin PPGA Socket) for Intel Celeron CPUs Intel 440LX core and ITE8673 Super I/O controller A ATI Rage IIc built-in AGP graphics accelerator with 4MB SDRAM Crystal CS4280 built-in Sound Blaster Pro, MPC-3, MPU-401 compatible Audio Enhanced Stereo full duplex operation

However, I still have no clue as to the answer to your question. The TriGem website has no listings beyond Pentium1 that I could find.

http://www.trigem-usa.com/system/systeminfo.asp

Good Luck

7. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Tact,

rugrat is right about your motherboard. I was looking at the 400id and 400ix. I missed the fact that you said it was a 400i.

Sorry about that. You can still do what I did, however.

spaceman

8. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

FANTASTIC! that is just the info i was looking for spaceman.

and many thanks to rugrat too!

wow. 533. now that IS worth upgrading for. and with overglocking i can do 618? awesome.

but do you really think there is no need to change the video? its ture that its built in like the soundcard. however i lack the stuff to play some of the best games because of it. even more so because it can't support openGL.

i was thinking of purchasing a card to go in a pci slot and turning off the built in one to prevent any conflicts and i thoguth i could be fine.

however theres still me figuring out what the maximum 3d power my mobo can take. perhaps it is just processor that would matter for that. hmm

/me ponders...:D

thank you all so much for you help. i hope i may one day be able to repay the favor. i've been wanting to upgrade my processor for the longest time! but i always had that "whats the most my mobo can take" worry. ah. /me feels so much better.

and them pentium II's are very affordable too! i saw a pentium II 1ghz for 80 bucks at best buy. hmm. but it will prolly be very hard to find a 533 pII though. it is old...lol

btw. what is diffrence between what you mentioned about a 533, and 533a. what does the a stand for or what does it mean?

thanks in advance.

/me is close to solving this prob for sure!:)

9. rugrat

rugrat

Tact

Glad you got enough info to keep going. Good luck finding the chip, probably scarce by now. When you do, and I am sure Spaceman would agree, Keep it cool!

SeeYa

10. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Tact,

Just remembered.....the difference is in the CVoltage: 1.5 vs 2.0

between the 533 and the 533a.

A Celeron 533mhz, 370 pin, PPGA CPU is as high as you can go with this mobo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=2062401450

sm

11. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

perfect! that's all i needed to know!

woo hoo!

/me dances with glee :D

12. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest

i wouldn't recommend it to do it yourself though, since you don't know much about computers. plus it would be cheaper to buy a used computer. you can buy a used pIII for like a $120. and i don't recommend getting a new video card for your computer. it just won't handle the new video card. just get a new computer soon, you have a very old computer, don't try playing new games with it.

13. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

hmm. yes. it sounds like your right.

i do plan to get a new pc in the future. i'm just trying to make due with what i got. being unemployed makes getting a new pc a bit harder. ;)

i thought the cpu upgrade would be easy enough though. perhaps i do need a bit more knowledge on this. i guess adding a new h/d, ram, and nic card are nothing compared to upgrading the processor chip. oie. /me is getting nervous already lol.

i think changing it to a new 533 would be easy enough. but when it comes to me overglocking, then yes i think i would agree with you about me not knowing much about computers. :)

/me continues to ponder..

when i get my next comp, i intend to get a monster. a type of alienware. so that even 5 years from that point, it wont be completely dead. i mean, just look at this old 3 year old emachines that i have. 3 years and still kicking. i'll get new pc's, but i'll never get rid or stop using this one. so i think at least adding the 533 should be ok even with my knowledge. i dont think anything will be as hard to upgrade as the trouble i had with my hard drives. man that was a pain on such a tiny little case lol.

but thanks a lot, ilusha. any and ALL opinions on this matter are GREATLY appreciated.

from the way i see it, i dont think frying my mobo will be a loss either so long as nothing happens to the hdd's. everything else is replacable. so i'm not too afraid of taking the overglock risk. cause i hear its risky. :p

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/99789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice