1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My monitor hates my video card. Please help me.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by executioner2, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. executioner2

executioner2 Thread Starter

My monitor just stays black when I plug it into my video card. The little green power light just blinks on and off.

I had this problem when I first installed my radeon 9600xt, but when i uninstalled some display drivers (and install an agp driver from the AMD site) from the control panel the monitor decided to work with my card. It worked fine for a month. For some damn reason its doing it again. Even though I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING.

I can get my monitor to work if I plug it into my other monitor slot, but not my 9600xt.

I tried doing the stuff I did when I first installed my card, but it didn't work.
    Someone told me that I had to disable my onboard graphics in the BIOs. And enable my AGP slot. But there doesn't seem to be anything there that lets me do those things
    Someone told me to uninstall this
    http://img30.exs.cx/img30/407/asdf5.jpg
    I uninstalled it. Restarted my comp. Shut down my comp. Put the card in, but it still didn't work.

I don't think my card is broken or anything. While the card was in my computer, I plugged my monitor into it. The little fan thing was still spinning. And it was warm to the touch.

Anyone know what the heck is going on? Its so weird, it was working perfectly fine the other day.

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

2. norton850

norton850

Let's see here--
    You said that your monitor works when you plug it in to your "other monitor slot". That makes me think that you still have your onboard video enabled. As you suggested it probably needs to be disabled in BIOS. What is the make and model of your system or if not a brand the make and model of your motherboard and BIOS (like Phoenix, Award, AMI)?

I couldn't make out your jpg file.

3. executioner2

executioner2 Thread Starter

My computer is an AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    Motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-LA
    My BIOS, according to EVEREST is...
    Type : ASUS AMI
    BIOS Manufacturer name : American Megatrends INC.

4. norton850

norton850

If I'm looking at the right manual it doesn't look to me that you have onboard video. This quote is from your first post:

"I can get my monitor to work if I plug it into my other monitor slot, but not my 9600xt"

Do you mean that the monitor works if you plug it into another computer or that it works if you replace the 9600 with another video card?

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The la is an HP version Norton850. It has onboard but the new card should boot right up. Might need to go into the bios and disable onboard but I never did. I had the same board.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

7. norton850

norton850

I guess that's the "LA" after the board model. So it's possible that there is no setting in the BIOS to disable the onboard video, since sometimes you can't do much with the BIOS on this type of board. Anyone know for certain? But hopefully it's not necessary and just installing the 9600 will disable the onboard video.

So we're back to the original problem of no video. It sounds like the onboard video is working. I guess I would suggest taking out the 9600 and putting it back in to make sure it is sitting firmly in the slot.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, it is in there. It is in advanced somewhere but the machine should boot into windows without disabling the onboard first. Mine did. Might be a newer version of the board. I do know to get into the bios you hit f1 on startup but I can't remember exactly how to disable the onboard. It is in advanced somewhere but I haven't run that board for quite awhile now.
    At any rate it isn't hard to find once you get into the bios. Mine would boot into windows with the onboard enabled it just wouldn't give back all the memory until I disabled it. I wish I remembered exactly how I did it.:(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice