1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My monitor is blinking at me... again

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by browneyedbeauty, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. browneyedbeauty

browneyedbeauty Thread Starter

I don't know the brand of my computer... I don't think it even has one. It was built for me by my husband :eek: Who is in another country for about four months (so it is now up to his uneducated wife to fix any computer problems that may occur)

My problem started when I tried to hook my scanner up to my computer. (my scanner was not USB) Anyway after I got it hooked up and I turned my computer back on the monitor just blinked at me. Absolutely nothing else happened. No power in the tower. Nothing. So I unhooked my scanner and started it back up... and it still did the same thing.

I have checked all my cable connections and even reinstalled the card to my monitor. And I am now all out of ideas. So if I can't figure this out then I will either have to hire someone to come down and look at it (which I cannot possibly afford) or wait four months for my husband to come home.

I am very open to suggestions. Please someone help me.

2. FlaFoci

FlaFoci

How is the scanner hooked up, parell port ??

3. browneyedbeauty

I suppose so. I don't know that much about computers. It hooks up where my printer port would and then the printer is hooked through the scanner.

4. brianF

brianF

Disconnect the scanner if it's still attached.

Make sure the monitor cord is plugged in securely, if the machine has more than one video connector make sure you are on the correct one(if it had onboard and then a card was added would be the reason for two connectors.

Blinking means it's not getting a signal from the card. It's possible you physically jarred the card enough for it to loosen up in it's socket. You will need to remove the cover, unplug the machine first, find the video card by looking at where the monitor plugs into it. With one hand touching the case use the other to firmly push on the card to make sure it's seated in the port properly. Put the cover back on, plug the machine in, and try to boot it.

Let us know what happens.

5. browneyedbeauty

I'm afaid that I have already tried all that twice now and it is still doing the same thing.

6. brianF

brianF

Well the next logical step would be

1. Try a different monitor to make sure it's not a monitor problem.

2. Try a different video card to see if it's the card itself.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice