1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My monitor screen is black ...help please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by altixweb, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. altixweb

altixweb Thread Starter

Ok, I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP. Several months back I installed an Nvidia graphics card which has been working fine. Yesterday I decided to remove the 128mb video card to put it in another computer. So i UNinstalled the Nvidia graphics card drivers,etc. I then shut down my computer and moved the monitor plug in to the onboard graphics slot.
    When I booted up my system, it shows windows loading screen but when windows trys to load, I only get a black screen and can only hear the sound.
    So i tried removing the Nvidia graphics card out of its slot and rebooted again to no avail. I made sure the BIOS settings read *onboard video* with no luck as well.
    So I found my reinstallation driver disc that dell provided me with. I tried installing it by booting via my drive and it came up with the options to install. THe problem there is it keeps saying FAIL on the screen :(
    Oh, and I tried the boot via SAFE MODE but I get errors coming up, here is a few examples:
    MULTI(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\1_intl.nls
    MULTI(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys
    MULTI(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\DRIVERS\pciide.sys

It was completely my fault for being a dork and uninstalled the Nvidia software without switching this over first and testing it :O
    So if anyone could possibly help me with this problem, please let me know. It's my business computer and it's just sitting there momentarily :K
    Help anyone? I'll try to save you a cookie :O thanks!

2. WarC

WarC

Those errors you're seeing aren't actually errors, that is part of the boot process that is shown to you during a start into safe mode. Just let it sit there awhile and it will continue on into safe mode. If it doesn't, then you might have a problem.

Since the integrated video works in the BIOS and during POST, but not past the initial Windows screens, I'd lean on the problem being a software issue of some sort. You could try reinstalling the integrated video drivers from your Dell CD or by using their website. Obviously you'll have to do that with the nVidia card installed (install integrated drivers, uninstall nVidia drivers, restart, switch video and remove nvidia card).

From there I would suspect something like resolution/refresh rate settings. For instance, if Windows initializes using a refresh frequency thats out of range with what the monitor supports, then the display will look the same as whats happening to you (blank screen).

As for your Dell CD failing, I don't know! Hard to tell without having the computer infront of me. It could be a bad or dirty CD, or a bad CD-ROM drive. Less likely but still possible is a problem with the IDE controllers or the cable.

3. altixweb

altixweb Thread Starter

still needing help..any appreciated :D

Woot! you must have replied while i was typing this *goes to read* :D thanks!

4. altixweb

altixweb Thread Starter

ok i will let the safe mode sit there for a while to see if it works...
    I've tried to reinstall the video drivers via boot mode with the dell install disc but they all failed *literally said FAIL on the screen* lol
    thanks and i'll note any progress here..thanks!

The reason why i'm having such problems with installing anything is because I can't see anything, so I hope the safe mode decides to boot up...thanks!

5. altixweb

altixweb Thread Starter

Ok, I totally had to reformat and reinstall windows. I even called two tech supports and they said it sounds like a reinstall job :K *curses Nvidia geforce fx 5200*

Here is my other little problem lol...When I was testing the messed up computer, I hooked it in MY personal monitor, just to see if that was the problem with my blank screen.
    Well, I switched the monitor back to my personal computer and blah! ...the screen is blank!
    I didn't do anything but switch the computers within a few minutes, and now that the monitor is connected to its original computer, its not working *Arrrgh!* this has been a serious of weird events....anybody have an idea what this problem could be?

I've made sure all the lines were connected properly, or course, and when I disconnected the monitor line, it shows me the *no connection found* error so I know the monitor seems to be working properly. Is it just my bad luck or does something like this happen from time to time? :O Any help appreciates! thanks!

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Did you have a CRT hooked up and then hook up an LCD? You may have the frequency out of range.

Hook up the other monitor and set it to 60 hz and 1024x768. Hit apply and save. Shut down and change monitors. If it boots up correctly then adjust it for your monitor after you get into windows.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice