1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My monitor won't/can't get a signal!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prodigy151, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prodigy151

Prodigy151 Thread Starter

I swap motherboards fairly often so when i do so before i take my old MB out i just plug up the necessary components (harddrive,memory,videocard). so this last time i hooked it up and everything worked fine, so i took out my other board and reconnected everything to my new board(cdrom,3 1/2, harddrive,and videocard). but when i turned it on my monitor said "NO SIGNAL" so i took my videocard out and put it back in ...nothing, i repeated this several times hoping that it would take, but that didnt happen. so i tried another video card in several different slots but i kept getting the same message on my monitor. I i began to think it was my monitor or cable so i took my case and all and hooked it up to a different monitor, it just showed a black screen . could this problem have been caused because of the other components i hooked up the second time, or is there something else that caused it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt

2. n2gun

n2gun

A couple things to check. First check the cable from the monitor for bent pins. I have seen this a couple times.

Also check the clear cmos jumper to make sure it is on pins 1 and 2. Occasionally you will run across a board shipped with it in the clear position (pins 2 and 3 ).

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Is it a LCD monitor?
    LCD's, in general, require a Refresh Rate between 50 - 70Hz and the Maximum/Normal Resolution.
    17 inch usually 1024X768
    19 inch usually 1024X768 or 1280X1024
    21 inch usually 1600X(whatever 1600 goes with....I can't remeber) or 1280X1024

Monitors are relatively easy to troubleshoot.
    Try it on another PC. If it works, your settings need to be adjusted in Windows.
    If it doesn't work, bad monitor.

With this it is probably Windows settings.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice