1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My motherboard does not detect the keyboard or mice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XJDHDR, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XJDHDR

XJDHDR Thread Starter

Hello everyone

Today, I installed an ECS P4M890T-M2 motherboard in my PC. However, when I turn the PC on, I noticed that I couldn't use my keyboard at all, not even to access any of the BIOS options. Furthermore, my keyboard behaves as if it isn't connected to a PC. If I then allow the PC to boot into Windows, the keyboard still did not work and I found that my mouse didn't work either. Also, my computer doesn't detect a flash drive plugged into any of the motherboard's USB ports but it is detected if plugged into one of the computer case's USB headers.

I have tried using three different keyboards (two USB and 1 PS/2)and two different mice (one USB and one PS/2) and none of them work with this motherboard. The two USB keyboards and USB mouse do not work whether I plug it into the motherboard's USB ports or the case's USB headers. I can't even toggle the Num lock mode for any of the keyboards and the laser in the two mice don't light up either.

I also tried installing a PCI card that adds USB ports to the computer then plug my mouse and keyboard into that. There was a slight improvement in that my one keyboard's calculator function turns on if plugged into the PCI card whereas it stays off if I plug it into the motherboard or case header. I still can't toggle Num lock on the keyboards or see any laser light from the mice plugged into the PCI card though.

Can anyone please help me figure out what is wrong here? Help will be greatly appreciated.

2. olryst

olryst

Did you try reseting bios using jumper/battery on motherboard.

3. XJDHDR

XJDHDR Thread Starter

@Olryst
    Oops, sorry for not mentioning that. Yes, I've tried resetting the BIOS three times today and that still didn't fix it.

4. olryst

olryst

maybe motherboards faulty

5. XJDHDR

XJDHDR Thread Starter

@Olryst
    That's what I'm afraid of. However, it does beg this question: If the motherboard is faulty, why does the USB keyboard and mouse not work if it is plugged into any of the USB ports owned by the PCI card?

EDIT: Another thing, I tried cleaning the motherboard so that there is no dust on the surface of it and that made no difference.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice