My mouse is acting really odd. What could be causing this?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

St!nkf!nger

Every once in a while my pc acts really nutty. What happens is that I'll go to open a program (lets say Nero Burning Rom) and on a single double click Nero will open up 70+ times. Furthermore, it makes mostly all of my programs act up when this starts happening. For example, when I click the arrow in the system tray it expands and collapses tons of times before it stops. If I open Firefox my homepage sort of half loads over and over and won't stop. MSN Messenger opens up then freaks out when I put the pointer in its window (this happens in the above Firefox example too). All of this activity makes the pc unusable until it all stops. Speaking of when it stops, it does't stop with a restart, it just stops mid session. I thought it could be a mouse problem because the trackball I use is pretty ancient and I figured it just might have just petered out finally, but then I tried another mouse that I found laying around and it did the same things. One other thing I've noticed it (the trackball) doing is when it's not being used the pointer slowly crawls towards the top of the screen. I've run my anti-virus and all three of my spyware programs and none of them find anything out of the ordinary. So what could be causing this annoyance? I'm starting to think it might be my mouse port, but how would I find this out?

Thanks in advance.

If the mouse is PS2 connected, try a USB mouse. Or vice versa.

That would eliminate the port.

So its impossible for you to temporarily free up a USB port to diagnose this?

How strange ...

There is a setting in the mouse applet in the control panel, I can't remember what the setting is called, but it allows that silly pointer migration to happen.
I would also run something like "Smartcop" this is a simple little free viral killing program.
If I can remember that mouse setting that fixes that problem I will return.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online