My Mouse stops working

OldComputerNovice

Hi, I am having a long going - years - and weird problem with my computer. I hope I am in the correct forum because this is my first post.
My USB mouse will get balky and then stop working. I can usually see the cursor but it will not move. Shutting down and restarting makes the mouse work again. Unplugging from the USB port and waiting a minute or two will usually correct it. I have also used several USB ports and the same occurs after some time - usually a day or two. I use an optical mouse but I also have a roller mouse and the issue is the same with either and my solution is the same.
The computer is an HP desktop that I think is about 10 years old. Its power supply is that of a laptop and it has the capability of running wireless as well as wired. I had to disable the wireless somewhere in preferences.
Everything is up to date and I defrag it often and I regularly run IObit Advanced System Care to clean junk. This is in addition to Bitdefender - latest version. My boot time is 30 to 50 seconds and it runs great except for the mouse problem. This problem predates any of the current software and existed when I was using other products. I believe I had the problem before I upgraded from (Win7?) to Win10 several years ago.

Do you have any idea what the cause might be and is there some easy solution or any solution? Other than this the computer serves my needs very well.
Thanks for any help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200818072242.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020T @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 2047 MB
Hard Drives: C: 447 GB (228 GB Free); D: 15 GB (15 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AFB, ver 1.02, s/n 1234567890123456
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 4CE32305B2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

plodr

Liz
It sounds like your USB ports might be going to sleep.
I don't run Windows 10 but in Windows 7, I opened Device manager, right-clicked on one of the USB Root Hubs, selected properties then last I clicked on the Power Management tab.

My mouse and keyboard are PS/2 so I don't need to keep USB powered up all the time.
If you have a check/tick in the box Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, remove it and click OK before you close the box.
power_USB.PNG

See if that solves the mouse problem.

OldComputerNovice

Thanks. I don't think that is the solution. I opened Devise Manager. I tried both USB Controller and Ports. I opened Properties on both and all I found was a General tab identifying it. There was nothing I could click on and that was as far as it could go. On both, the other choice besides Properties was Scan for Hardware Changes which I did. I will see if anything changes after I shut down this evening but I do not think I was able to access any changes.
Just as an FYI, I went through most of the choices in Devise Manager and when I went to Properties, the only choices I found were General and Scan For Hardware Changes. I am guessing Win 10 has some other place I need to go.

OldComputerNovice

My son saw the post and got me to the Allow the computer to turn off this device box. I did not know to open by double clicking on USB hub. I had right clicked. There are a lot of simple things that I do not know.
I have 2 root hubs and 4 generic hubs. I removed the check in all of them. I will reboot and see what happens in a few days. Thank you for your suggestion.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200818072242.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020T @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 2047 MB
Hard Drives: C: 447 GB (228 GB Free); D: 15 GB (15 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AFB, ver 1.02, s/n 1234567890123456
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 4CE32305B2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
You have THIS HP 110-016 Desktop PC which was purchased in July 2013 and came with Windows 8 Home 64-bit and still has all of its original hardware.
I defrag it often and I regularly run IObit Advanced System Care to clean junk. This is in addition to BitDefender
Using these 2 third party apps is asking for trouble.
The first app may eventually result in you having to re-install Windows 10.
The second app can cause various issues with Windows 10, including updates failing to install.

--------------------------------------------------

OldComputerNovice

You have THIS HP 110-016 Desktop PC which was purchased in July 2013 and came with Windows 8 Home 64-bit and still has all of its original hardware.

Using these 2 third party apps is asking for trouble.
The first app may eventually result in you having to re-install Windows 10.
The second app can cause various issues with Windows 10, including updates failing to install.

--------------------------------------------------
Are you saying the unchecking the boxes in the USB's in not advisable? BTW I appreciate you replying to me. I just want to be sure I understand. thanks.

OldComputerNovice

It sounds like your USB ports might be going to sleep.
I don't run Windows 10 but in Windows 7, I opened Device manager, right-clicked on one of the USB Root Hubs, selected properties then last I clicked on the Power Management tab.

My mouse and keyboard are PS/2 so I don't need to keep USB powered up all the time.
If you have a check/tick in the box Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, remove it and click OK before you close the box.
View attachment 281985

See if that solves the mouse problem.
I just want to get back and thank you. I replied but as a new post. I had trouble at first until my son showed me to left click on USB and it opened more things. I unclicked all USB that I found. It will be several days to a week to see if it is a fix.

OldComputerNovice

I just want to get back and thank you. I replied but as a new post. I had trouble at first until my son showed me to left click on USB and it opened more things. I unclicked all USB that I found. It will be several days to a week to see if it is a fix.
Today, my mouse just stopped again and I fixed it by unplugging from the USB plug and plugging it in again so the fix did not work. But thanks for trying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online