1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My MSN Messenger cannot detect file extensions!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Goodcoin, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Goodcoin

Goodcoin Thread Starter

Every time I receive a file, I'm forced to type down its extension manually, because my MSN Messenger cannot detect it by itself. When I click "accept", it gives me the following error message:

Your file cannot be saved. Its name may contain unreadable characters,its name plus path may be too long,or the folder may be read-only, deleted, or otherwise unavailable. Please specify another fil ename and/or choose a different folder.

[OK] [Cancel]

I press OK, type the dot + extension manually and then everything's fine. Only problem is that I have to guess the extension or ask the file sender about it -- there's no other way to manage this.

Please, if anybody knows how to fix this problem, help me out. Thanks!

P.S. I am placing the screenshot just in case...

Attached Files:

2. Goodcoin

Goodcoin Thread Starter

Ah, yes, and I forgot to post my details: I'm running Windows XP SP2, and I have MSN Beta 7.0, but the problem was the same with version 6.0 as well, so this is definitely not the Beta issue.

3. Goodcoin

Goodcoin Thread Starter

No ideas? Anybody? Please?

4. Goodcoin

Goodcoin Thread Starter

Did I ask how to get rid of the Messenger? Nope. So please either post something having to do with the topic, or don't post at all.

5. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Have you tried uninstalling MSN Messenger and then reinstalling it? (Assuming you're talking about MSN messenger and not windows messenger)

6. Goodcoin

Goodcoin Thread Starter

Of course I'm talking about MSN Messenger, not Windows Messenger -- thanks Lord I can tell these two from each other! :D And yes, I have uninstalled MSN Messenger and reinstalled it a couple of times. Haven't done any registry cleanup, though.

Maybe I should have searched for MSN Messenger related keys in the registry and delete them as well? Hmm... Will try this way, too -- we'll see if it helps...

7. Goodcoin

Goodcoin Thread Starter

Nope, tried cleaning the registry -- no go either. Still cannot see extensions. What could be wrong? Still no ideas, people?... Hum?...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!