1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Music folder hidden in Documents on Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jbhardman, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbhardman

jbhardman Thread Starter

Do I need to keep the system file shortcuts of "My Music", "My Pictures", and "My Videos" that resides inside of the "Documents" folder of Vista? And what about the "My Documents" shortcut inside the User directory?

Why do these exist? They show up as regular files when I run robocopy job to backup my directory to a network drive and it's annoying...

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do they say "shortcut" in their properties? If they are really shortcuts, you can delete them. I've noticed since XP that some shortcuts like that appear from time to time. I think it may be some program I use, but not sure. But they are unneeded in any case.

3. jbhardman

jbhardman Thread Starter

They have the arrow over them, so they look like shortcuts. When I try to open them they tell me access is denied. I can only see them locally when I view system files. However, even though I tell robocopy not to copy hidden or system files, it still copies these, and then the show up as regular empty directories on my remote storage location.

Here's a screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I don't believe that what you have there are shortcuts. They are symlinks (symbolic links). At least 4 (maybe 5) types of symlinks exist in Vista's new version of NTFS (most existed in XP, too). In Vista, in order to make many of the same paths work like they did in XP, symlinks are all over the place. They are not shortcuts, but the actual folder with a second address in the file system. C:\Users is the same folder as C:\Documents and Settings, for example, so the same path would get you there if you transferred some script from XP to Vista.

Though you can remove them, any app searching for those folders and looking in the old location like they were in XP, will not be able to find them. But this may never prove to be any problem, and they can be restored.

There are command-line tools available for managing these, like mklink.exe in Vista (no delete option) or Sysinternals' "junction".

You may want to try the beta of Junction Link Magic for Vista:

http://www.rekenwonder.com/JunctionLinkMagicSetup.msi

NTFS Link Shellextension is alo a useful tool. (This page explains links much better than I did.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice