1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My "MY PICTURES" folder and it's contents have been deleted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by winelvr56, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winelvr56

winelvr56 Thread Starter

When I logged on yesterday morning it was fine... some 15 folders and over 6000 pictures. When I logged back on yesterday afternoon everything was gone. I've tried looking in the Recycle Bin, searching by individual folder and file name but to no avail. Everything seems to be gone. This morning I ran Spybot and it identified and removed something called "PurityScan." Would this have deleted my PICTURES folder? Is there any way they can be recovered? I'm running Windows XP and have RoadRunner. Thanks. Winelvr

2. Pullstart

Pullstart

Not sure if system restore to an earlier point would bring them back? I don't know x.p. yet

3. oldie

oldie

System restore should do the trick, providing one has not forgotten do punch in a restore date of recent :eek:

Oldie

4. winelvr56

winelvr56 Thread Starter

Thanks guys but as far as I know System Restore will only restore sytemic issues (ie., system configuration issues); it will not replace files that have been deleted. I actually tried this but it didn't work. WL

5. uly7

uly7

Go to Start/All Programs / Accessories/ System tools / System Restore / Restore My Computer to an Early Time/ Click next / Find a date (Usually a day before something happen will do)/ Click next.
    You have to be aware that if you installed or do anything in the computer, everything will be lost, so save your stuff. However, this only will restore your Operating System , not your Documents.

Do you have Norton?
    If you do, double click your trash / find your folder/ and click recover.
    Another way will be to open My Documents/ click tools/ Folder options/ View/and put a mark in "Show hidden files and folders/ click Apply.

Another way may be to do a search in Start/ Search / Pictures and Photos (don't put anything in the "All or part of the file name")/ put a mark in the "Use advanced search options)/ search.
    Good luck.
    Uly7

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you sure the pictures that you are looking for aren't under another user log on name instead?

7. winelvr56

winelvr56 Thread Starter

ULY - as I said, tried Sys Restore but no luck since they were picture files... I only have Norton Anti-Virus... and Internet Security...neither of those are the "Norton" you mean are they?

ACACandy - Looked there too... only one other user and all of her files are fine... Only those under my user name were deleted.

Thanks anyway.... WL

8. uly7

uly7

Have you try this?

"Another way may be to do a search in Start/ Search / Pictures and Photos (don't put anything in the "All or part of the file name")/ put a mark in the "Use advanced search options)/ search"

Uly7

9. winelvr56

winelvr56 Thread Starter

When I logged on yesterday morning it was fine... some 15 folders and over 6000 pictures. When I logged back on yesterday afternoon everything was gone. I've tried looking in the Recycle Bin, searching by individual folder and file name, and using System Restore but to no avail. Everything seems to be gone. This morning I ran Spybot and it identified and removed something called "PurityScan." Would this have deleted my PICTURES folder? Is there any way they can be recovered? I'm running Windows XP and have RoadRunner. IThanks. Winelvr

10. winelvr56

winelvr56 Thread Starter

Uly7 - Thanks. I did... but no luck. WL

11. tnik

tnik

if you remember the name of some of the pictures or folder names, can you try doing a search for them.. maybe the folders got moved by accident..

err.. nevermind, I saw your other thread, sorry, I have no idea..

12. winelvr56

winelvr56 Thread Starter

Thanks anyway TNIK... I'm really stumped... I think it's got to have something to do with that "PurityScan" junk that found its way onto my system but I have no idea what it would have done with the files.... they're certainly not on the system anymore and weren't in the recycle BIN. WL

13. tnik

tnik

Well, I've searched around, and found nothing to the aspect that purityscan messes with files on a computer, it is just an adware program..

only thing I can think of is maybe somehow something went wrong and the My Pictures folder got deleted..

just for giggles, have you tried booting into safemode, log under Administrator, and search the drive, maybe something has happened to your current user profile..

14. rude

rude

Also your picture folder may have become "Hidden"(under folder options),and when you did the search,did you use "Advanced Search Options"?

15. winelvr56

winelvr56 Thread Starter

Hey Rude... Yup, tried Folder Options and "unhiding" anything that was previously hidden... No luck there. I DID try using the "advanced search options"... looked in system files, hidden stuff etc....no luck there either... Kinda frustrated at this point ... 4 years worth of pics, jokes, gifs, all sorts of stuff... My own damn fault for not putting that stuff on CDs... just wish I knew for sure what had happened to it. WL

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice