1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Network Places Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by allenkc, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

My main desktop PC is running Windows Media Center and wired to the internet, my second desktop PC is running Windows XP and is wireless, my 3rd PC is a wireless laptop. I have set up shared drives on both desktop PCs. Every time I reboot either of my PCs, the shared drives go away when I try to access them from my laptop. If I open up My Network Places on my main PC, the shared drives will show there(after having it open for a few seconds) and then they will show on my laptop. Is there a service that needs to run automatically on my desktop PCs for this not to happen?

One more thing, all firewalls are down.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    During a reboot Windows completely shuts down. With no operating system running, the computer (and all of its drives) is off the network. After Windows boots again the computer's network connection is (usually) reestablished.

The only way to prevent this is to not restart Windows.

3. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

I understand that if the PC is shutdown that I cannot access the shared drives. This is not what I am saying. If my desktop PC is rebooted or started from a cold state or whatever, the shared drives will not appear in my network places on my laptop until I open "my network places" on my desktop. All I have to is open up "my network places" for this to fix itself. They should automatically appear on my laptop once the desktop is up and running.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "They should automatically appear on my laptop once the desktop is up and running."

Explain that to the designers of the Computer Browser service! :)

The master browser sends the updated network info to the other computers every 15 minutes. If the rebooted PC was the master browser, the other computers have an "election" to determine the new master.

With those two aspects, unless you know which is the master at any given time, and exactly when updates are distributed it's impossible to accurately predict what's gonna show in My Network Places for 15 minutes or so after a network change.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice