1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My New Setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vore, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vore

Vore Thread Starter

My new setup. I thought I would get your recommendations on this setup before I went ahead with the purchase. It seems good. All for $1,005.00 including shipping.

Dimension 4600
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB)
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
    40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    64MB Dell USB Memory Key
    Dual Drives: 48x CD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+RW/+R w/ double layer write capable
    17 in (16 in viewable,.27dp) E773c CRT Monitor
    128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI
    Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio

I have the Xbox and PS2 for games so if I do use this system for gaming it will be minimal.

My Dell laptop Inspiron 8000 cost me 3 grand back in 2001 and another 3 grand for the Inspiron 7500 back in 98. and has nothing near the specs this set up has. I am not able to fix the blue screen KRNL386.EXE problem on the Inspiron 8000 so I’ll have to bring the drive someplace to have it accessed. I’m fed up with laptops, after 2 of them they just don’t have the oomph.

I still have my Remington typewriter and a whole bunch of carbon paper. If only it could copy and paste.

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Looks like a very good deal. Good luck ...

3. cheese

cheese

I priced the same parts at newegg.. Itd come out to 920 bucks. That dell is a pretty good deal, unless you would like to build one yourself, and save a 100 bucks.

4. linskyjack

linskyjack

Only thing lacking there is the drive--40gig is little small-but heck drives are so cheap

5. Vore

Vore Thread Starter

cheese...I always wanted to build my own computer. The setup I bought in 1995 has a new modem, and new hard drive so I almost qualify as a computer builder lol I just don't have the time to fool around with it this time...

linskyjack. I don't have large files (music or video) but I'm thinking of adding a 160G back up storage option from Maxtor. Dell wants 200.00 or so for this option.

Bryan...thanks. I'll let you all know how it turns out and I'll be back to ask for help. I'm getting the McAfee protection and I'll install all the virus and firewall essentials. Then ask you what I should not have going at startup.

I'm in touch with Dell support with my KRNL386.EXE problem on my Inspirion 8000 laptop. They are really helpful and I usually get a response from them with in the hour...nice people.

6. winbob

winbob

Vore,

You know that KRNL386.exe error is probably NOT hardware related, so don't frown at your laptop. What have you done to try to circumvent this error so far?

If you're going to give up on the Inspirion 8000, send it to me...I'll even pay the shipping!! ;^)))

7. 4steve44

4steve44

Vore, Great looking system. The only thing I would change is the OS. For an extra $50 you could get XP pro. :)

8. Vore

Vore Thread Starter

winbob, I know it's a software problem and not a problem with the machine. I'll keep the laptop however lol thanks for the offer of taking it off my hands. I'll just buy a new drive for it. The problem I'm having with the current hard drive is as follows:

When I started up the computer, I get a blue screen that said While Initilizing Divise Shell “cannot find or load reg. file KRNL386.EXE. Pathways not found, system halted.”
    Here is what I’ve done so far:
    1.I did a “scandisk /all /surface” scan and the scandisk found 11 bad clusters.
    2.It found one long invalid file name that could not be fixed and it suggested that I do another scan.
    3.I performed 5 of these scans, the drive has been fixed but it did not correct that one long invalid file name.
    4.I tried to start the computer in safe mode…I can’t!
    5.I tried to install Windows Me using the CD disk and I get the set up page but then I get a note that says cannot continue, an existing version of the OS has already been installed and I need to install the Windows Me upgrade???
    6.I tried everything I know (6 days now) including
    /restore
    scandisk /all
    I tried booting from my start up floppy disk.
    I changed the shell name to shell=progman.exe but it dosen't load the program manager and still starts up with the KRNL386.EXE message.

I ran a virus scan using a McAfee floppy disk. I know its not a virus. I have anti virus programs on that computer and they’re all up to date.

I did a DIR on the c drive (hard drive) and I have all my files so there’re not lost

It all comes back to the KRNL386.EXE message and the fact that there’s one long invalid file name on the drive that can’t be deleted and I can’t reinstall Windows Me because it keeps asking me for an updated version.

Dell has given up on me and sent me to the Siberia of information "Microsoft users forums" where questions go unanswered till the end of time.

I have client files on that drive (I'm a kitchen designer) along with presentations photo's, tax info, and tons of other stuff I just can't afford to loose. I'm an idiot for not backing up.

4steve44 I will certainly look into the XP Pro...thanks for the tip

9. winbob

winbob

Vore,

OK, you say you are going to replace the HD in the Laptop...then where does that leave your: "client files on that drive (I'm a kitchen designer) along with presentations photo's, tax info, and tons of other stuff I just can't afford to loose (sic)."??????????

Do you have a plan to recover that stuff??? If not, why are you rushing into buying a new HD?

When you bought this Laptop, what software CD's did it come with??? Did it have a System Restore Disk, or original software installation disks???

A System Restore Disk should lay down on the HD regardless of its SOFTWARE status. Of course whatever WAS there will be gone, even if it resides 'beyond' the extent of the data being laid down. You are laying down a disk image, not individual data files.

I think that your best shot a 'fixing' your problem with the long-filename is to do it with a DOS boot disk. In DOS you can find the file using its "8.3" name format and delete it.

Also, if you rename the Windows directory to something else, you should be able to reinstall your ME system as if new (with real install disks) , since the existing modules won't be found by the install program.

Lastly, if you haven't done a scan before, or in a long time 11 bad clusters wouldn't scare me, especially if they were recovered.

10. Vore

Vore Thread Starter

winbob.
    What I had hoped to do was purchase a new hard drive for the Inspiron laptop and see if I could fix the current one somehow. I know there are programs out there to recover information on drives but I'd have famialarize myself with them first. Dell suggested that I re-format the bad drive but I would loose everything. I won't do that.

I have all the original CD's that came with the setup including the Windows Me installation disk, Applications (back up Dell installed programs) and drivers and utilities (system software). I tried them all but I've had no success. I know nothing about MS DOS unfortunatly. Can you direct me to a site that would guide me through setting up a DOS boot disk? I know that if I can somehow access that one long invalid file name and delete it or rename it, I can get the system going again.

I did another scan of the bad drive yesterday and it still has the 11 bad clusters on it and found no new ones but it did say that it found that one invalid file with along name and it could not fix that file.

Dell isn't answering my email anymore. They directed me to the Windows forum and basically it a whole bunch of people asking questions that go unanswered sort of like purgatory...lol

11. brite750

brite750

If you have another pc you can plug the bad hdd into one of the plugs that go to a cd-rom drive, set it to slave and salvage the data you need, and then reformat the drive. Even though you can't boot the os from the bad drive you should still be able to see the drive to copy data. However just for the heck of it i would try the dos, there is nothing majic about dos, your winme startup floppy will get you the A: prompt, from there you type cd (change directory) c: that should get you the c: drive, type dir (directory) you should get a list of files and folders on C:, use erase to get rid of the offending file and reboot. if you want to try ask for more info on the exact steps, my DOS is a little rusty, but that's the jist of it.

12. Vore

Vore Thread Starter

Hi brite750,
    I have 2 computers. Both of them laptops, both Dells, the Inspiron 8000 which is currently inoperable and the Inspiron 7500 (my back up computer and the one I'm using now). I have absolutly no idea how to conect one laptop to another and the Inspiron 7500 has only 96MB ram and 6 gig HD that's almost full.

When I go into the A: prompt and type C:, then DIR, I get a huge list of files at the start then I get all the other files associated with the drive that are still intact. Are you saying I can just erase all the files that have "CH???0000???" somehow? I'm not familiar with DOS and I did try to "scrool" up the long list but I was unable to.

13. brite750

brite750

maybe i didn't understand, did you say you had a file that you wanted to get rid of on you C: right?, you would have to know where the file is ie C:\folder\file name, then you use the Erase command to get rid of it.

14. brite750

brite750

As far as connecting the two lappies together, i'm pretty sure you can but not sure how,

15. winbob

winbob

Vore,

Since you have the WinME (choke 8^+ ) installation disk you can re-install WinME (cough :^o ). Go to this site for any type of boot disk you want: http://www.bootdisk.com/ even an WinME (burp :^* ) disk.

Here's what "I" would do...you make your own decision. I'd boot from the disk and at the A: prompt issue the following command: DELTREE C:\WINDOWS

This will remove the Windows directory AND all its sub-directories. Then I would re-install WinME (puke :^p ). I would not expect your previous installation inhibiting problem since the OP/Sys is GONE. After the installation I would back up the valued data from that drive to CD.

This process is not without risk, especially if your knowledge/confidence is lacking, but it is not that complicated either. The nice part is that your data is still there after the fact.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice