My New Years resolution and I still haven’t started

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Danwilliams1989

Ive always wanted to build my own PC. So my project this year was to build one. I just don’t know where to start. Anyone got any tips or recommendations of YouTube videos, websites books or any resources I can use for a complete newbie to it ??

Also what does everyone make of these Raspberry Pi and Arduino ??

crjdriver

First decide on what you want to do with the system ie gaming, video editing, what.
Next decide on a budget.
Then decide on what processor ie AMD or Intel. Once you make those decisions, we can move on to a parts selection.

FWIW the new amd processors have incredible performance however [IMO] they are NOT for the inexperienced builder. With intel, you can just purchase parts and put it together; it works. With the amd ryzen, you need to set ram timing in the bios, update the bios, etc. While I like amd, they are not for the new builder.

Danwilliams1989

Wow I didn’t understand half of that. But that’s why I’m doing it I’m doing it to learn more about the ins and outs the hardware and what really makes a pc tick.

I guess I want to start from basic. So something you would use for an all round purpose.

How much would usually set a budget to be at ?

Keep in mind there maybe a need for a few retries at some things because I’m still learning.

What is the difference between AMD and Intel.

Maybe worth going for the intel I want to start from the easiest place.

Are there any step by step guides online or YouTube you could suggest for a complete newbie please.

crjdriver

What is the difference between AMD and Intel.
There are a lot of differences however the big one is the mfg.
For general use, an i5 or even an i3 would be fine. If you intend on gaming, you need a real video card. If you are not going to run games, then you can use the onchip video which is part of the processor.
As for a budget, I would think you could get by for $6~700 or so. That would be for cpu, motherboard, ram, ssd drive, and case. If you want to run hard core games, then you can just about double the budget.
As for videos to watch, I have never watched one so I really cannot recommend any. I am sure others on this site can recommend some to you.

Danwilliams1989

I’m from the UK so it won’t be much different from buying one. However, I am doing this as a personal goal.

I wouldn’t have to buy all the parts at once would I. Could I do it over a couple of months?

I meant like something to look up to get clued up on the internal components of the pc.

I’m from the UK so it won’t be much different from buying one...
I have built computers and timed settings, overclocked computers, etc.

The best way to start building a computer is by choosing a computer case that can last you through a couple or more motherboard upgrades (builds). I like Asus motherboards because Asus makes their own boards and also sells them; they are one of three, I think.

Next, the motherboard, CPU, etc. Also, they way your computer is cooled is also a BIG deal as well. Now they have liquid cooled systems you can get involved with. The cooler they run the faster they run.

My point is building one is A LOT better that buying one off-the-shelf.

I hope you have fun doing it... I do.

Also, try finding local computer shows in your area and some vendors deal straight from their overseas source (Japan, China, etc.) and give you better deals sometimes than Amazon, or your local tech store because they do not want to haul their products back to their stores; they rather sell it...

Enjoy!

Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe 《♤》

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online