1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My newly built PC has stopped working - please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arora03, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arora03

arora03 Thread Starter

Setup
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500 3.20GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
    • PSU: Corsair CXM750 ATX/EPS Semi-Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit, 750 W
    • Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z170-HD3
    • RAM: 2x4GB 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 Memory
    • Storage: 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD and a 500GB HDD
    Hi

I built my PC about a year ago and it had been working well until recently when it just stopped booting up. I asked my friend (who is IT savvy) and he suggested that I test/ replace my PSU. I was able to get a free replacement PSU from Amazon but even after connecting that (the one outside the tower in the photo), the PC doesn't seem to boot up. No lights, no sound .. nothing. The only thing that makes a little bit of noise is the new PSU. Is my motherboard gone? Or is it my power-switch that I need to fix? Or is it something else completely. Please help! I'll be very grateful.

Some photos attached for reference.
    WhatsApp Image 2018-05-16 at 22.27.05.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-05-16 at 22.27.06 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-05-16 at 22.27.06.jpeg

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Try clearing the CMOS.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I deleted your other thread. Do not post multiple threads with the same question.
    As for your problem, do some basic troubleshooting.
    1 System OFF, open the side cover and pull the pw connectors from ALL drive; both hd and optical
    2 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
    3 Pull out the ram. Blow the slots out with a can of air. Reinstall the ram and be sure it is fully seated in the slot
    4 Pull out any add-in cards ie sound, nic/lan, video card. Connect your monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard
    5 Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors on the motherboard. Again be sure they are fully seated
    6 Clear cmos with the pins. With a gigabyte board, you do not use a jumper to clear cmos. You short the two pins with a small screwdriver or other metal object. Read your motherboard manual for the exact location of these pins

Now pw ON and see if the system will POST. If the board does POST, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST, you will need to swap parts with known good units it motherboard, ram, processor, etc.

4. arora03

arora03 Thread Starter

Apologies, I thought the original thread hadn't posted successfully. I didn't realise that it goes through moderation before being posted.
    Thanks a lot for the troubleshooting steps. I'll give it a go today.

5. arora03

arora03 Thread Starter

Will try, thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice