My Norton Won't Do Virus Scan Anymore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

debmac

ALL OF A SUDDEN MY NORTON ANTIVIRUS IS UNABLE TO SCAN MY COMPUTER FOR VIRUSES..IT GETS TO A CERTAIN FILE (ALWAYS THE SAME ONE) AND THEN JAMS...I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE SAYING IT CANNOT SCAN MY COMPUTER AND HAS TO CLOSE..IHAVE UNISTALLED IT AND REINSTALLED THREE TIMES NOW. I WAS ABLE TO LOCATE THE FILE THAT IT KEEPS GETTING STUCK ON ( APPEARS TO BE A QUICK TIME FILE THOUGH I NEVER USE THAT PRGRAM KNOWINGLY UNLESS I HAVE RECEIVED SOMETHING THAT IS A QUICKTIME FILE...DOWNLOADED UPDATE TO MY QUICKTIME PLAYER THINKING MAYBE THAT WAS INVOLVED..NO GOOD...I NEED MY VIRUS PROTECTION..ANY SUGGESTIONS?? I AM A COMPUTER NOVICE..THANK YOU DEB

Hi debmac, please do us a favor and don't post in all caps, it makes it much more difficult to read.

Now, can you tell us the full name of the file which is causing the problem and the path to it? Have you tried deleting or moving it?

Also what Windows version do you have?

debmac

Thanks for your speedy reply! I use Windows xp home. The file that my norton always gets hung up on is C:\Documents and Settings\user\local settings\temp\movmediaData. it always starts to scan and goes through about 5.000or so files and when it gets to this one that's where it stops and then i get the message that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. it keeps telling me to uninstall and reinstall norton which I have done several times. i've tried both typical and complete installations when given the choices (have tried it both ways). thanks.

debmac

I was hoping to get some help with getting my Norton antivirus to work..it will not scan my computer...would appreciate some help if you could give it Thank you.

Hi Debmac. Let's try this. Go to Start and open a Command Prompt window.

Does it open at:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\>

(is "user", your user name?)

If it opens at the correct path above, with Explorer and IE closed, enter each bold line:

cd locals~1
rd /s temp

Press 'y' to confirm if the temp directory is specifed correctly.

enter exit to close the DOS box

Now try to run NAV again, it shouldn't hang there.

If you have trouble getting to the right folder path, don't give up, I'll give you another method.

debmac

Thank you , Rollin Rog. I will give this a try and let you know what happens. Deb

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online