1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my notebook failed to boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jesseyoung, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jesseyoung

jesseyoung Thread Starter

After i updated my Avast, i can't reboot from the os:confused:.What happened?? It just sitting on WELCOME SCREEN,displaying it's loading the configuration, since then, no action continue.
    Plz HELP !i DON'T WANT TO REINSTALL MY os, appreciate your solutions!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

F8 key and then in advanced boot menu try
    1. Last Known Good - I do not really expect this to work but it is worth trying.
    2. Try Safe Mode.

3. jesseyoung

Hi,thanks for your advice! I can enter with safe mode, but i still can not log on the OS with the normal mode.What can i do?
    Many thanx again!

4. Macboatmaster

Start
    Run
    Type "msconfig"
    In the window that opens click to check Diagnostic startup
    Then click the services tab and click to check ONLY the Avast entries - usually four entries
    Go back to the general tab and now Selective startup should be checked
    Click OK and restart the computer when prompted.

Is it NOW booting normally.

5. jesseyoung

Thanx very much! It works! Is it due to the Avast update,isn' it? If so, why this happened? Next time will i enconuter this trap only if i take a update?
    Greatly appreciate your help!

6. Macboatmaster

It isnt the Avast update, unless it was interrupted and therefore corrupted.
    This is very unlikely., as of course Avast is still loaded and starting.
    It is another item on the computer.
    Have you by any chance installed any "make my computer go faster programs" or registry cleaners.
    I am signing off now as it is 0240 here in UK.
    Have a look at this and if you need any more help I will pick the thread up about 1800.hrs
    https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=579&nav=0,1,22

You do NOT have to submit to Avast if you do not wish of course.
    Se how you go on with enabling some of the items, just a few at a time in services and then when you come back to the situation you were in, make a note of which you have then JUST enabled.
    If you can not find the reason for that yourself post that result - ie: what was just enabled.

7. jesseyoung

Well, the problem solved after i tried the method!Many thanx! BTW, I have installed some app making my computer go faster, do i have to unstall them?

8. Macboatmaster

What are they. Most of the one package - boost, tune up etc. are gimmicky and sometimes even dangerous to the health of the computer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice