1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My notepad has disappeared from 'new' on desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dliug, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dliug

dliug Thread Starter

I dont know why, but my notepad has disappeared when i right click on the desktop and highlight 'new'

screenshot:
    [​IMG]

also I seem to have 'blue voda document' and 'cool page file' there, how do I delete that from there, I have unisntalled blue voda application but its still there and I have no clue what this cool page file is :confused:

any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try TweakUI for XP to add or remove items from that menu (and a lot of other tweaks, as well).

3. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

In Windows XP the page file is virtual memory, I don't know what "cool" means in this case but I wouldn't mess with it. Virtual memory and RAM can hold instructions that are later processed by the CPU and executed. I wouldn't take any chances creating a "cool" new page file. I'm not sure what BlueVoda is but I'll look into it and let you know. Try:
    Start > Run > type "regsvr32 /i shell32"
    to restore the shell32.dll defaults.

Also it seems you have a more serious problem, I'd look into virus scan utilities.

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Oh... BlueVoda is a HTML/Web design program. OK.

5. dliug

dliug Thread Starter

thanks for the quick replies :)

I tried "regsvr32 /i shell32" but it didnt seem to work :(

so i tried that tweak UI and managed to remove blue voda and cool page file from the list, but still cant add notepad.

for virus scan software, I use AVG and Zonealarm

btw is there a way to add notepad manually via regedit or something, at the moment i have placed a shortcut to notepad in my start bar and I often use notepad to make quick notes and am so used to creating the file first on desktop and in folders.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It isn't actually Notepad that is in the New menu, but a template for .txt files. Can that be added with TweakUI?

7. biagrin

biagrin

8. devil_himself

devil_himself

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You know, technically-speaking, this shouldn't fix the "New" menu, but only the file association for .txt files. But it appears to have also fixed the New menu .txt entry for someone else, so it is definitely worth a try.

10. devil_himself

devil_himself

I Have seen a problem Similar to This on other Forum .. in which the suer has lost the "Folder" icon from right Click context menu and the Folder association fixed it ..

That's why i think that the .TXT Association should fix it

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's worth a try, if they ever come back :D.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice