1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my old hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pheeph, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pheeph

pheeph Thread Starter

I was trying to extract data from my old hard drive that used to be from my old Dell Dimension 4600 (The PC's now used as a Vista media center). This old pc still has XP Home Edition installed in it, and I'm just trying to get to the data. After installation, I only got the free space and nothing from the used space (the drive is blank when accessing it through "My Computer"). Do I have to use a USB hard drive enclosure to get that data out?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should be able to get it by any method at all if it is still there. How does the drive appear in Disk Management?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

3. pheeph

pheeph Thread Starter

silly me... I put the wrong hard drive in there... It's actually the 30 GB instead of the 80 GB I was supposed to put in. But now I got a bigger problem. Aside from the fact that it's an IDE Hard drive (I have an SATA hard drive in there as well), it boots to my old XP that asks for activation instead of the XP Pro I currently use.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a common problem when you mix ide and sata drives. Many boards will default to an ide drive as the boot device. Simply enter the bios and set the correct hd as the boot hd. Save settings and restart the system; it should then boot the "correct" xp install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice