Solved My Old Linksys Wireless Router Died

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cornemuse

It is 15 ± years old and no complaints. It is definitely dead! Used it yesterday morn, but later, no connection. I need to replace it (?). It is/was wireless, but I have not used this (w-less) for years as this is about the 4th or 5th computer since I installed its original software. (that 28 ± charactor password is long gone) Even when it worked, I use a cat5 cable plugged into my laptops, as a wired conn seems much faster than wireless. Do they make a wired only router? Do I even need a router? I have a simple 4 plug switch box. If I can bypass the router completely by simply plugging the cable directly into computer, is the switch box OK?

-corne-

Last edited:
A router acts as a sort-of firewall. And new ones have a stateful firewall built-in which is even better. Whereas a switch will allow the outside to see your internal machines directly.

cornemuse

OK, so I'll be shopping for a new one.

Any suggestions for a budget router?

plodr

Liz

Couriant

James
Do I even need a router? I have a simple 4 plug switch box. If I can bypass the router completely by simply plugging the cable directly into computer, is the switch box OK?

-corne-
To answer this: Only if your modem is also a router. Your ISP most likely will not allow you to have multiple computers connected to the modem as it will use up IP addresses that the ISP has to give to their subscribers.

cornemuse

Bought a cheap wired router, $20, all is well, thanks

I ran a cable from the router to the switch box, 4 more connexions, (one at a time tho)

-c-

cornemuse

I prefer the manual switch box. I want only one computer connected at a time. (if more than one is running)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online