1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My own ports are blocking my Internet! Help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jaradcel, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaradcel

Jaradcel Thread Starter

Hey all,

I recently bought a new PC and set it up with Norton AV, Spybot and Zonealarm Home for my basic protection but realized something amiss lately.

Whenever I load websites, I get a ton of "this connection has failed to load" errors - although refreshing the page loads the websites normally.

I finally figured it was something on my end when my BT flashed, refused to connect to anything and notified me that

"Blocked - IP 202.156.52.18"

I currently connect to the Internet through a cable modem, with a router ( An ancient SMC Barricade cable splitter) that splits the connection between me and my sister (Who is using my "old" PC)

The thing is, I tested this issue on my "old" pc that's hooked up for my sister to use and experienced none of this blocking at all. She loads all her sites fine, games run smoothly with no sudden lag spikes from being "unable to connect" and BT works fine.

I'm not asking for help on "hacking my BT", but I would like help fixing this connection issue. Why is this computer getting blocked by that ip/port?

Could it be something about conflicting IP's? When I installed this computer I noticed it said "Error, another network found with same IP address" but lately it's stopped saying that. How do I fix this? Please help!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You said you have "Zonealarm Home for my basic protection." Sounds like it's doing an excellent job! :)

Do you have it properly configured for the access you want? Have you tried uninstalling it to see if the problem changes or disappears?

3. Jaradcel

Jaradcel Thread Starter

How do I ensure that?

I've had it set full access for Firefox and BT, so it *should* be allowing them through right? I'll try uninstalling it in a minute then but wanted to be sure just in case. Thanks for the quick reply :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice