1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Party Virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by buf, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

I just opened my email and was immediately hit with TWO(2)emails from someone whom I know and trust. Both emails were identical and the subject line was:New pictures from my party. My Nortons AV caught both of them and reccommended that I quarantine them which I did. I did notice that the "repair falied". Guess that means the most recent virus definitions would not clean/repair this virus. Defs were updated two times yesterday-Monday automatically by NAV2002.
    Should I email the person who "supposedly" sent me the two emails OR did this virus use their address book to send the same email to all that are listed in their book? I think I will go read about this bugger---NOW.

2. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, buf

You can find some info about this right here at TSG

goto Security forum

Good Luck

3. guru2

guru2 Guest

definatly advise your friend he has the virus because you won't be the only one he has given it to. that virus sends itself to all contacts in the address book and he may not know about it.

4. buf

buf Thread Starter

OKAY, this virus is a worm and it does send an email to everyone in an address book that has become infected. So beware, be sure your virus definitions are up to date and don't open any kind of mail that has any mention of My Party or pictures from my party--just delete it and then run a full virus scan of your hard drive.
    Don't be misled by the email that has the virus BEING FROM SOMEONE WHOM YOU KNOW OR AN ADDRESS YOU RECOGNIZE. INSTEAD, LOOK FOR THE WORDS PARTY OR PICTURES IN THE SUBJECT LINE.
    BY THE WAY, THE PERSON FROM WHOM THE EMAILS CAME VERY LIKELY DID NOT KNOW THAT THEIR COMPUTER IS INFECTED UNTIL THEY READ MY EMAIL TO THEM!! My new Nortons Anti Virus 2002 checks my emails BEFORE I open them and it ALSO checks my OUTGOING emails.
    Now, you know as much as I know about this.

PS I did email my friends from whom I received the infected email and I sent the above to all those in my email address book.

5. ratchet

ratchet

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks for your replys. I didn't realize we have a Security Forum. That is good!! I think I have adequately let it be known about this worm. Even tho Nortons caught it and I wan't infected, I still hate having to deal with such things that people create without any reason at all--no reason that I can think of and I am sure we have our own thoughts about this subject. The writers of such harmful programs could be using their knowledge in a wiser way!
    That bogus address to stop worms. If it happens to be that thing about 1000000 or whatever, I understand that it doesn't work!! I will be looking back into this forum now that I know it is here.

7. ratchet

ratchet

buf,
    Found it,
    I guess it works, when my son opened GONER I freaked and called everyone in address book. nobody got it.
    Avoid spreading e-mail borne computer viruses in Outlook Express:
    · Create a new contact in your email address book with the name: !0000 with no email address in the details.
    · Start
    · Programs
    · Accessories
    · Address Book
    · Once the Address Book is open
    · Click the New pull-down toolbar item
    · Click New Contact
    · In the field that says First, type in
    o !0000
    · Click OK.
    · This contact will then show up as your first contact in the Address Book.
    · If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, you see an error message that says:
    o "The Message could not be sent. One or more recipients do not have an e-mail address. Please check your Address Book and make sure all the recipients have a valid e-mail address."
    · If you click on OK, the offending infected message will not have been sent to anyone. The infected message will then be stored in either your "Drafts" or "Outbox" folder. You may completely delete (in other words, not just send it to Outlook's "Deleted Items" folder) the offending message from that location by highlighting the message, hold down the Shift key and press Delete, and then confirm.
    · This way the virus is not spread and you have been alerted so that you can apply whatever remedy the situation calls for.
    Just Make SUre It Stays On Top! use AA if you have too.

8. hewee

hewee

Bu,

Sorry to hear of the virus.
    Good thing you stopped it.
    Let the other person know you got the virus so you don't get it again from them and they can clean up there PC and stop it from spreading.

ratchet,

They say that adding the !0000 does not work.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice