1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My PC blocks access to certain files and it is flooding up..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bangaL, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bangaL

bangaL Thread Starter

I will explain this to the best of my ability.

I have a website that I frequently update, but a while ago my computer's graphic card broke along with the PC ending up crashing.
    I had it delivered, changed the card and got the same Windows 7 installed a-new at the shop.

Now, the issues are arising. I was going to upload an IPS Suit (forum) to my website, downloading the Zip format and extracting works wonderfully. But once extracted, I can not delete the files off of my computer. When I try it says Name-PC does not have access to delete this file.

The file in question, are among others, a few .css files and .json files, not all of them, but around 15-20.

I tried sending the whole Zip to my friend and he could read the files that I could not.

When I try to open them in notepad, I get "No Access". I push ok, and the page is just blank, whilst the rest of the .css files open without issues.

It seems to my that my PC is blocking my access to just a handful, as it is not .css or .json in general, but just a few of those files.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? I've been trying to fix it, and my desktop is now clogged with extracted files I can not delete, and I am forced to send all my files to my friend for him to upload to my website for me.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's why you shouldn't use the desktop for file storage but use folders instead say My Documents or Downloads where they are out of the way.

If you right click on one of the extracted files or folder and choose properties then click Advanced, is the Encrypt box checked? If so uncheck it and try deleting it.

Might also be a permissions issues if the above doesn't work, could take ownership: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659(v=ws.11).aspx

bangaL likes this.
  3. bangaL

bangaL Thread Starter

Taking control worked, seems like that for some weird reason, once downloaded, some of the files were in permission to my old username.
    So I had to write in the new one.

Thank you!
    Found this website after frantically searching help on google, and I couldn't been more satisfied.

4. bangaL

bangaL Thread Starter

EDIT: It worked on a lone file I had in my desktop, but once trying it on a folder that containes more than 4,000 files (only 20 of them are locked) the take control did not work.
    It said it did, but I still have no permission to delete, looking for each of those 20 files will take me days.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. bangaL

bangaL Thread Starter

I tried that, took ownership of the main folder, every sub folder, including all the denied files one by one.
    Still got access denied..

The Only thing I noticed working was "Start Unlocker", but that has no option to ignore permissions, just helps me delete stubborn files.
    Puts me in a frantic for the dumb repair shop who fixed my computer.

My computer's Windows 7 software was also installed in my native language, which is a pain as I have always, since my first PC, used English versions

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you try the link I posted above?

8. bangaL

bangaL Thread Starter

Yes.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the PC is the wrong language and you are unhappy with the service place, take it back and have them install the correct English version you want. It may even resolve this problem.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice