My PC Ethernet is not functioning properly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shaviorharuki

I've had this Ethernet issue for a few months now since I got my new "not that updated" rig. The problem is whenever I play games like CS:GO and call over on Discord with friends, my ethernet will stop working after 20-30 minutes of playing. I've already done things like "Buying a new cable", "Update drivers", "Ethernet settings like magic packet *DISABLE* and stuff", "Changing the ports on my router and modem", "Restarted my house modem", "Troubleshooting", "PC Diagnostic", and other stuff that I've searched online. But until now, nothing has changed. In some cases, if my ethernet from my PC stop working, my PC crashes either to the "Blue Screen of Death" or the monitor just shuts off and reboots. Please, help.

-My PC Specifications-
Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2C A1
CPU: Intel Xeon L5410 (Overclocked 2.80Ghz)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560ti
PSU: VATYN 550w
RAM: x2 400Mhz 2GB DDR2 Dual Channel
Ethernet: Qualcomm

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2C Motherboard
It supports a maximum of 4 GB(2 GB x 2) of DDR2-1066 MHz RAM.
It has a Realtek RTL8102E 10/100 Mbps integrated ethernet device.

With the exception of the graphics card, your gaming computer has very old and slow hardware.
Unfortunately, you can't add more RAM to it because it's already maxed out with 4 GB.
However, you can add a gigabit speed ethernet card to it to replace its integrated ethernet device.
The motherboard has a PCI Express x1 slot for doing that.

----------------------------------------------------

shaviorharuki

Are there any recommendations on any cheap Ethernet Cards that I could see as an example? Or specific Ethernet Cards I need to buy?

If you're sure this is because of ethernet and you did update LAN driver from asus or atheros site you can try to disable all LAN power saving features (or all enable)

1. Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
2. If prompted for password, enter administrator password and click "Yes" to continue

To disable all adapter power saving features run
Disable-NetAdapterPowerManagement *

To enable all adapter power saving features run:
Enable-NetAdapterPowerManagement *

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Are there any recommendations on any cheap Ethernet Cards that I could see as an example? Or specific Ethernet Cards I need to buy?
If you do a search for PCIe ethernet cards, it will bring up several webpage links that you can browse through and choose from.
Just make sure they specify "Gigabit" or "1000 Mbps" speed.

-------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
At first you confused me but, it looks like revision 2 mobo has Atheros chip
Yep, you're right.
But they're both 10/100 Mbps speed.

shaviorharuki

If you're sure this is because of ethernet and you did update LAN driver from asus or atheros site you can try to disable all LAN power saving features (or all enable)

1. Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
2. If prompted for password, enter administrator password and click "Yes" to continue

To disable all adapter power saving features run
Disable-NetAdapterPowerManagement *

To enable all adapter power saving features run:
Enable-NetAdapterPowerManagement *
My bad, it is revision 2. Edit: [it says Rev: A1]

My bad, it is revision 2. Edit: [it says Rev: A1]
It appears I gave you wrong link (asus) to check specs.
I can't find link any more but from what I remember if CPU-Z doesn't tell rev 1 or rev 2 you can also look in device manager what ethernet adapter you have and get driver from one of the 2 sites.

shaviorharuki

It appears I gave you wrong link (asus) to check specs.
I can't find link any more but from what I remember if CPU-Z doesn't tell rev 1 or rev 2 you can also look in device manager what ethernet adapter you have and get driver from one of the 2 sites.
Yes, I've checked that I have a Qualcomm Atheros NDIS [6.30] driver in use.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Realtek and Atheros ethernet device in all revisions of that motherboard is 100 Mbps speed.
You really should install a dedicated gigabit ethernet card which is capable of 1000 Mbps speed.

TerryNet

Terry
Why the recommendations for gigabit ethernet? Did I miss where shaviorharuki says he has internet bandwidth of 100 Mbps or more?

A new ethernet adapter may fix this problem, and prices for gigabit are not bad; I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind the gigabit recommendations.

shaviorharuki

Why the recommendations for gigabit ethernet? Did I miss where shaviorharuki says he has internet bandwidth of 100 Mbps or more?

A new ethernet adapter may fix this problem, and prices for gigabit are not bad; I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind the gigabit recommendations.
Is it because getting a 100Mbps PCI Network Card would be okay as well? Since my Mbps limit is 100Mbps?

TerryNet

Terry
100 Mbps ethernet card should be fine for you now. However, a new card will probably outlast the rest of your current computer, so I would get gigabit assuming the price is not much more. That also future proofs you in case your internet service limit increases.

shaviorharuki

100 Mbps ethernet card should be fine for you now. However, a new card will probably outlast the rest of your current computer, so I would get gigabit assuming the price is not much more. That also future proofs you in case your internet service limit increases.
I've just ordered a Gigabit Ethernet Card, I'll tune back in when I've gotten the results.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online