1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My PC freezes during full-system virus scans

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jxg1991, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jxg1991

Jxg1991 Thread Starter

Hello, I'm having a problem and I hope someone might be able to help me. My apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum. I have a Gateway P-7805u FX Edition laptop running 64-bit Vista SP2 and Avast antivirus.

Lately I've been experiencing some problems with my computer and I worried that they may be the result of a virus. So I attempted to run a virus scan only to have it freeze at the 4% mark. I tried again and once again it froze at the 4% mark. One more time I tried it and the screen went to sleep and never came back. Last night I gave it one final try and let it run over night. This morning I opened my laptop, the screen came on as it should, but it never made it past the welcome screen after I logged in.

What would you suggest I do? I've been thinking about completely restoring it back to factory settings but I don't have enough external storage to accommodate everything I'd like to keep. Do you think doing this would solve my problem? If so, then I'll look into borrowing something from a friend. But if you think I can solve this problem without having to restore it then I would love to know.

Thank you

2. HCD

HCD

Try uninstalling and reinstalling avast - make sure you have latest version....

3. Jxg1991

Jxg1991 Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried that last night before I ran the last virus scan.

4. HCD

HCD

If it were my PC, I would do the following:-
    Download and run a full scan using MalwareAntimalwarebytes
    If nothing shows I would then discard (ie uninstall) Avast and instead load and run Comodo Internet Premium (free!!!! and 1 of THE best!) See how it all goes then.....let us know!

5. Jxg1991

Jxg1991 Thread Starter

Oh wow, Malwarebytes worked. I feel stupid, haha. Such a simple solution and I never even thought of it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice