1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Pc has died :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by filerz, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

Hi
    I was getting problem with my pc a week or 2 back, freezing and crashes, and mega slow downs, well one day i came home and the pc wudnt even gt on to the desktop so i tried to wipe it. At first it didnt show a partion to wipe from the CD ( something to do with drivers :S ) but eventually after switching it off from the plug and turning it back on it found a partion and i wiped it and started installing vista again. Half way through ( it was taking ages ) it came with a error saying a file was missing and it needed to be reinstalled, i trieed again but the sme problem came up. It would sometimes even freeze when i was trying to enter my windows code or at the entering screen and the pc would make a wierd beeping noice, i thought tht might be trying to tell me something.

So at this time i was rather annoyed :) eventually it could not find a partion again saying the same thing! since then i coudnt gt the thing to even pass the BIOS and it just freezes at the screen where you can go iinto bios etc but its frozen.. so pressing delete etc doesnt work...

Im kinda stumped.... i thought a virus had ripped my pc apart, i just need some help :) I hope new hardware wont be needed.. :(

Please reply =D
    also a note: while my pc was actually working it would sometimes come up with a blue screen saying its shutting down to prevent damage, and some other words but would just restart.

Cheers.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Could be a few things really..
    1. Overheating CPU. Make sure all the fans in the system are clean and working properly.
    2. Bad HDD. Make sure the BIOS recognizes the HDD correctly. Go to the manufacturer's website and get their diagnostic software to test the HDD.
    3. Bad Ram. Get MemTest86 and run a few passes to test.

3. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

How can i run any tests? It just i cant do anything on it.

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

The HDD diagnostics should be a DOS based application that runs off a CD. Same for Memtest. No need for Windows. Just set the PC to boot from CD.

I'm leaning towards a bad HDD at the moment.

You could also physically remove the HDD from the PC and install it into another PC as a slave drive. Then you can run the HDD diagnostics from Windows.

5. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

ok do i have 2 buy the cds? or i cn just burn onto a cd?

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

burn them.

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

8. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

Ok thanks ill b doing tht sometime on the weekend. How would i tell wat harddrive i have?

9. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You might be able to tell from going into BIOS setup and seeing what HDD model is listed. Otherwise you'll just have to open the PC up and take a look at the label on top of the HDD.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice