1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My PC hates floppy disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpeedRacer5, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpeedRacer5

SpeedRacer5 Thread Starter

I load a floppy in the drive and it shows the word documents as, for example ABSENT~1.doc. If i put that same floppy in a different PC, it works. What can I do to remedy this situation?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So what exactly is the problem? Will it not read the files off the floppy or is it that it shows the filenames in an 8.3 format, 8 characters for the name, three for the extension?

3. SpeedRacer5

I'd name it ABSENT.doc and it would do that to it. When I try to open it, Word won't open it.

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Floppys are cheap and pretty much cheaply made.
    You can get another drive for about 5 - 6 bucks (if internal on a PC not notebook)

You can try to format the disk with that floppy and see if that works.
    Some disks are picky when it comes to how they were formatted (ie what operating system formatted it).

I know you probably already know this, but if not try it :)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds more like a software issue to me, considering teh name change and the inability to open the file on your system but its fine on other computers. Have you done a virus scan? www.trend.com has a free online scan to double check.

6. SpeedRacer5

No virus. I have AVG installed. Is there any settings on a floppy drive that would change this?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't know of any settings that only affect the floppy to do anything like that...

8. SpeedRacer5

Anyone know anything about this?

9. steigerhouse

steigerhouse

There is a good test for your floppy to know if it is a hardare problem or a software problem. Just go to a DOS (Command) window and put in a blank disk and and type FORMAT A: If the drive runs and formats the disk, there is very likely nothing wrong with the disk and you have a problem in Windows. But to be sure, put in a floppy with some data on it and type A: and press ENTER. It should go to the A: prompt. Then type dir and ENTER. It should list the directory and the contents of what is on the disk. If that works you are pretty sure you have a Windows problem recognising the drive.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!