1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My PC is dead !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sugarliev, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sugarliev

sugarliev Thread Starter

Hi folks. I have an e-machine S1642 it will turn on but nothing else happens. Only the CPU fan works and the light on the motherboard comes on. No picture, no beep, no cd rom drive and no hard drive. At first I thought it was the power supply but I checked it and is ok. Cler the CMOS, took everything but the minimum, tried diferent video card, but still nothing on the screen. I know that is the CPU or the mobo. How can be shure which one is.
    I found similar problems on the forum, but nobody says how they fix it if they did!

forums.techguy.org/t240711&highlight=s1642.html

10x a lot guys ;)

2. mfdsuk

mfdsuk

it might be the jumpers on the hard drive/cd drive
    probbaly isnt but worth a try

3. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

That's all the symptoms of a bad motherboard

4. brite750

brite750

everything but the min is psu/mobo/cpu/1 stick of ram is this what you did, no video card either just to see if you get the happy single post beep. If you you did that and didnt get a beep than its one of those items, try different
    psu, if your sure psu is ok, try diifferent ram stick, otherwise its mobo or cpu but probably mobo. the only way to tell is to try differnt mobo or cpu or try your cpu in another working pc.

5. sugarliev

sugarliev Thread Starter

I hooked up onli ps, mobo, cpu and 1 ram stick .... and nothing, no beep nothing. The ps is ok for sure (i have a tester). The mobo looks like it has power, couse the cpu fan goes on and there is a light. Also there is a power on the AGP slot and on the connectors for the Power Led on the case. BTW the mobo is Elite Group L7VMM and the CPU is AMD Athlon XP 1600+. I belive that CPU is dead. Are those the simptoms for dead CPU ?

6. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

No, those are symptoms for a dead motherboard, believe me, I just did this little song and dance about a month ago.

It would be worthwhile to test the CPU as well if you can in case it is the CPU, however slim the chance

7. sugarliev

sugarliev Thread Starter

The bad thing is that i have 2 other PC but they are Pentium systems and I don't have where to test the mobo and cpu. I just have to buy one of them but wich one !!! It's not pretty :)))

8. brite750

brite750

we're betting mobo, maybe someone can chime in on what happens with a bad cpu, i'm thinking the bios gives some kind of beep code but i might be wrong, where as if the mobo is bad you get nothing.

9. brite750

brite750

man i just realized I've never had or seen a bad mob or cpu yet, my old 200mhz AMD would still work if i put a hdd in it, even with all the pcz I've been through a work since 1988, never had a board or cpu go bad. I'm still going with mobo, i've heard emachine uses really cheap boards, if you have a magnifying glass look around at the tops of your capacitors to see if there is any leakage or bulging, otherwise your just going to have to pick one.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Elite group is an ECS Mobo. Real common for Emachines. Also real common for dying mobos.

11. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

I'd say go for a new mobo and that should solve the problem. But don't get a Chaintech, or any other really cheap brands. Get an Asus, or in my case a Soyo as I've gotten very good boards from them. They arent the best out there, but they wont break the bank either.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the CPU dies you wont get anything either. No POST beep. And it is possible that the CPU could be bad instead of the MOBO or even both of them. THe last Emachines that I worked on experienced both at the same time. In the future (and this is just an educated suggestion) I would stay away from the kind of systems that you normally get at Walmart. Great price until you have replaced the system 3 times over an 18 motnh period.

13. brite750

brite750

ok thanks, I hoping the board would tell you something by way of error code, good to know

14. JeffGreen

JeffGreen Guest

i wood jo with the motherboard i have an Emachines and it givs an eror beep for ram mising so take out the ram and boot and if beeps then its not the mobo.

15. winbob

winbob

I have to disagree with your recomendation guys. NOT your diagnosis, but your recommendation.

Given the Processor that he has is an AMD 1600+, he should buy a better MOBO/CPU COMBO.

My latest Fry's Ad has a Board & AMD Sempron 2500+ for $85.

OR, at the other end of the spectrum, an Intel 3.2GHz P4 with Board for $220.

Depending on his budget, that's the way I would go, because if the MOBO isn't the problem, he's buying a CPU anyway.

PLUS, any excuse to get both should not be missed! ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice