1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my PC is playing up!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hanah, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hanah

hanah Thread Starter

hi there,

can u help? ... My computer sreen keeps scrolling up and down without m doing a thing....it's sooo irritating coz sometimes it can go on 4 ages which means i can't type my work on microsoft word....can u help?

ive tried cleaning my computer using scandisk but it's not working coz it gives me this message ' scan disk has had to restart 10 times coz windows or another program is writing to it'....this also means i cant disfragment..ive got some sort of physical error on my drive. i don't know what to do ..can u help?:confused:

2. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    To get scandisk to do a complete scan without restarting see my post of today and the replies. You need to stop everything that is running in the background as everytime something starts Scandisk has to start over.

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi hanah

If you have a wheel mouse make sure it is working ok - clean it out to make sure nothing is sticking

Better still try another mouse to make sure this is not the source of your problem

I'm only referring to your scrolling problem here

steam

4. hanah

hanah Thread Starter

Hi there,

The scrolling problem is as bad as ever:( . The side bar continues to roll up and down and iv'e tried taking the rubber ball out of the mouse but this does not have any effect. it's even hard enough to type this response up coz the screen is constantly scrolling. Though thanks soo much 4 ur replies....i hope u can help:confused:

With the scan disk problem well from the message it gives me i can gather that windows or another program is interferring in the process but the problem is that i havn't got anything open so i dont know which program is causing it to restart....i wish i did :( .

:confused:

5. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    I am still having my Scandisk problem too. :( Keep an eye on my other string, we may yet find an answer.) Can't help with your scrolling problem. Maybe it is hardware and you will have to get a tech to look at your computer.:confused:

6. steamwiz

steamwiz

For scandisk have you :-

shut down everything except explorer and systray using Ctrl-Alt-Del

disabled your screensaver

disabled your anti-virus

If all this fails try in safemode

As for the scrolling screen - is it like the vertical hold on a television screen when the picture scrolls - if it is there may be a button somewhere that you can stop the scrolling with.

If not try and borrow another monitor to check your computer with - if another monitor works then I'm afraid yours is on the way out

steam

7. hanah

hanah Thread Starter

i'm going to try scandisk again thanks to u guys...i didn't realise that screensaver could interfere with the scandisk. i really hope it works. As for the scrolling prob. (uuuuup.....and....down!) can someone plz help. you guys r great though..thanxs!

8. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Even after closing down everything and disabling screen savers and antivirus software, it is likely that defrag will keep restarting because Windows uses something called "Virtual Memory". So if RAM is insifficient to work, it shifts some portion onto the hard disk. So reading and writing to hard disk is a continuous process.

What you can do here is that let ScanDisk and Defrag go on, even if they get restarted. After 10 restarts it it asks you whether you want to continue or not, choose continue.

As regards you scrolling problem, please let us know the type of mouse you use. For once, disconnect the mouse from your system and see if this continues. If not then the problem is with the mouse. You may need to re-install the drivers. There can be many reasons of this problem. We have to slowly discard one after the other as a possible cause and the last one left will be the real culprit. Start here with the mouse.

9. hanah

hanah Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanx 4 all the responses.....for some strange reoson the scrolling problem has stopped so i'm glad that's the last of that. Iv'e been told it might have been bcoz i hadn't press the scroll lock key on my typewriter; perhaps..i just don't know.

Just out of curiosity what is the scroll lock key 4 anyway? would very much appreciate an answer..thanks in advance.

Still one problem though..there's a physical error on my hard drive and iv'e tried correcting it with scandisk however some program is still interfering so scandisk is having to restart after every 10th attempt to deal with the prob. with referance to one of the posts above; iv'e closed down screensaver so that's not interfering in the process, so what is? How do i get into safe mode and run scandisk?..is there any way of knowing which programs are active whilst scandisk is running. Would appreciate a response..thank you. :)

10. DVOM

DVOM

hanah, do a "ctrl>alt>delete" and it'll give you a list of all the programs that are running. You can then highlight and "end task" on all but explorer and systray. That'll shut all of them down that need it.

A virus/trojan/worm is also a possibility here. Have you done a complete virus scan recently?

11. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    Hanah, I tried all the suggestions above and still had the problem. Then someone said "start your computer in safe mode. When I did that scandisk worked fine. In "thorough" mode it still takes a long time, but it does work without endlessly restarting.
    Do you know how to start in safe mode? If not just enter "safe mode" into your Windows help screen and it will tell you. For ME you hold down the Ctrl key and keep it held down as the computer boot up. A screen will apear that gives you the safe mode option. Some other versions may be diferent, I am not sure.

12. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

In Win98SE, keep tapping the F8 key soon after switching on your system. Continue tapping, till the menu with option of starting in safe mode comes up.

13. NotRite²

NotRite²

To my best recollection, ALL versions of Windows since the last release of 95, you can enter STRAIGHT into "safe mode" by constantly tapping the F5 key while booting up. You can get to the bootup menu by constantly tapping F8 or the ctrl keys, then choosing "safe mode" from the menu offered.

You will most likely want to defrag your pc from safe mode as well. If you have task schedular activated, this too will prevent either of these programs from finishing without restarting many times. Scandisk should be done in the thorough mode with "automatically fix errors" box also checked.

Good Luck!

14. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    NotRite2, I am not sure about the last bit. Read the thread I started titled "Scandisk and Windows ME". There is apparently a belief that to let Scandisk automatically fix errors, whilst it is not usually a problem, has the potential to cause a big time stuff up. :eek:

15. hanah

hanah Thread Starter

hi there :p

The problem with the scrolling was because of my mouse! Didn't know such a tiny thing can cause so much disruption...until now! Anyway got new one and the problem is solved.

with the disk drive error i went to safe mode and ran scandisk from there...and....guess...what....????? It worked! :D

Anyway thanks for all those who responded....much appreciated!!!!! especially: (steamwiz and bilrobn)

xxx

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice