1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my pc is running really slow

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JPLamb, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

my pc has started to run really slow i was told that i had 2 anti-viruses running which was slowing it all down. so i got rud of one but it has not helped much. can any one help.

thanks

2. foxefire

foxefire

Have you check for spyware? Download and install the SpyBot Search_&_Destroy tool to delete any Spyware/AD-ware/hijacker found. Read about this type of junk at Spyware_etc. These programs come hidden in "free" software, like KaZaA, and can corrupt or slow down your system. Or can be installed by some hijack web sites that hijack your browser settings. After installing SpyBot, use the ONLINE feature to update the software and its reference lists, then run a scan and delete any checked items found. Leave the un-checked items alone for now. Advanced users can do additional cookie, history list and Registry deleting with SpyBot later by using the un-checked items.

Another good Spyware-Adware remover is Lavasoft's_Ad-Aware. Purchase versions include real-time detecting and blocking of Spyware-Adware. Download the free version at Ad-Aware_6 to scan for and remove Spyware-Adware.

Additional information on Spyware and Browser Hijack removal tools, prevention tools, links and forums can be found at SpywareInfo. Here you can get help identifying new hijackers, related programs and current news.

3. 1069

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    JammySheep:

Go the "spyware tools" section at www.majorgeeks.com and download and save the following programs:

Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3

HijackThis 1.99.0

Once you've done this, install Ad-Aware and Spybot. Once they're installed, run their update function and get them up-to-date with the latest files. Once they've been updated, start Ad-Aware, run a full system scan with it, then select and delete everything that it finds. Start Spybot, run a scan with it, then select and delete everything in red that it finds.

Create a folder for HijackThis(but not in a temp folder), then unzip Hijackthis into that folder. Once you've done that, double-click the HijackThis.exe file to start it. Click "Scan" and allow the scan to finish, then click "Save Log". Save the log in text format with Notepad. Once you've done that, copy-and-paste the entire contents of the log here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice